Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Fix ISN'T In...

Yesterday's NBA Draft Lottery results should put to rest the belief that David Stern manipulates the proceedings for the league's benefit. With Milwaukee holding the #1 pick, there is no imaginable benefit to the NBA. If the NBA had its way, there wouldn't even be a team in Milwaukee.

While I agree that the circumstantial evidence may point to the contrary (Knicks in '85, Magic in '92 & '93, Wizards in '01), there is no reason to believe that Stern would manipulate the lottery only part of the time. If Stern were so interested in "placing" the high-profile #1 draft pick in select cities, he'd do so every year. So, hopefully this ends the conspiracy theory floating out there. If it doesn't, all I can say is that I'd like an explanation for why the Knicks haven't had the #1 pick since 1985. Wouldn't the league love to have its marquee city front and center every year? I know I'd love it if that were the case...

No comments: