Tuesday, July 18, 2006

World Cup Roundup: Thoughts from Germany

Well our intrepid World Cup reporter (pictured on the left searching for Berlin or a beer I'm uncertain which) didn't exactly cover the tournament as planned. Instead of live blogging, interviewing of the stars and expert commentary our reporter did hiking through Germany, hiking through das beergardens, teaching, and only attended few games here and there. Nonetheless he did attend a few games (including seeing mighty Trinidad). Here's a few of his thoughts of what it was like living through the World Cup tournament in Germany.

The Weltmeisterschaft was awesome despite my team's horrific performance and the head butt. It was really just great to be around for it...thousands of people in the street watching all the time, and I did almost no work for a month (butt hat would have been the case at home too I suppose!). The games were really a special experience, especially the US-Czech game (again, despite their failure to really play). It was pretty cool to see actual US football fans, though I'm pretty sure that 100% of them were there with me in gelsenkirchen (which is a total dump). I then went to Kaiserslautern (a pretty area south of Frankfurt) to see trinidad vs paraguay...trinidad fans are amazing. I treked to Kirschen and I saw Ukraine-Tunisia in Berlin, which was also great. Our seats were in the front row, so we couldn't see much but it was cool to be so close to the action. For the second half, we stood at the back of the section which was much better. Basically, it was just really cool.

-Mark A.

No comments: