Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Think I'm Through With Baseball

“People can say Bud was just trying to cover his butt or take care of his legacy or whatever, I say [bleep] it.” – Bud Selig, Commissioner, Major League Baseball

Yeah, right. Because you’ve always done the right thing before...

Update – 4:45 pm

Since apparently all it takes to get your name dragged through the mud by baseball’s powers that be is a bit of anecdotal evidence and the sworn testimony of a former batboy turned drug-dealer, allow me to use the same duty of care† to ruin someone else’s life. You won’t find Luis Gonzalez’s name on Mitchell’s list but I defy you to look at this picture and tell me he wasn’t pumped up.*


To all those folks who will defend the Mitchell Report as being a work of total legitimacy and uncompromised ethics based solely on the fact that Senator Mitchell is a man of “sterling” integrity…I just had a good, hearty laugh. A member of the United States government has never hid behind his reputation before, right?^

Look, to me, this report is just evidence of Bud Selig hiring an old friend of his to run this dog-and-pony show. After all, Senator Mitchell signed his name to the “The Report of the Independent Members of the Commissioner’s Blue Ribbon Panel on Baseball Economics” in July 2000. That document stated, among other things, that the business of baseball was irreparably harmed. Seven years later, Selig is taking credit for the booming business of baseball.

This Mitchell Report is a document that was purchased, plain and simple. Selig got what he paid for: a document written by a man with a “sterling” reputation that he can now parade around as evidence of his interest in fixing baseball. The ostriches in management can go back to burying their heads in the sand while the grunts in labor get their asses kicked in the press by sanctimonious cocksuckers. That’s exactly the kind of problem-solving skills that define Selig’s tenure – the politics of passing the buck while some other idiot is left holding the bag of flaming dogshit.

I’m done. No baseball reports from the Hot Stove this winter. I’m out of baseball for the next three months, at least. Not that baseball cares, of course. Loyal, intelligent paying customers like me are disposable. They only go after wankers like this.

†Lawyers: I know what “duty of care” means. Don’t waste your time telling me how and where I fail to meet the exact definition in your Black’s Law Dictionary. I’ll send you back to Webster’s to look up “hyperbole.”

*This photograph was taken after Gonzalez’s game-winning hit in the 2001 World Series. But we’d never suspect a Yankee-killer, right? Right, Commissioner Selig?

^Dan Rostenkowski, James Trafficant, Randy “Duke” Cunningham, Tom DeLay, Spiro Agnew, Richard Nixon...

No comments: