Monday, June 19, 2006

Questions and Answers: US Open Intrigue

Well a wonderful and wild weekend of sports...so time for everyone's favorite column....Questions and Answers.


Did anyone really win the U.S. Open?
-Tiger W.

While the technical answer is yes, the real is answer no. I'm sure Oglivy received his trophy or jacket or gift certificate to Chick-fil-a or whatever the big prize is for being on top of the leaderboard at the end of the US Open. However in my book Winged Foot course won the 2006 U.S. Open. I mean the Oglivy had the best score at +5. Anytime a course makes professionals look like me hacking away in the rough, the winner is the course.

How big was Mickelson's double bogey on the 18th?
-Seymour Butts, Springfield

Huge. Mickleson was one hole away from leaping into the conversation of one of the all-time greats. He had won the past two majors he's played in (I think). It would have been his fourth overall masters. He's been beating Tiger Woods to get these titles. Yet one hole and a double bogey later instead of being compared to Ben Hogan he's being compared to Jean Van de Velde. I'm still not sure what Phil was thinking. Maybe he's overly competitive. Maybe his caddie whispered French into his ear. I don't know. All I know is that this collapse will go down as one of the most infamous endings in U.S. Open history.

Are you surprised Geoff Oglivy was on top at the end?
-PT Barnum, Center Ring

No. What did I say last week? Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oglivy is Aussie powered and as I said before Aussie's rule! Australia is my adopted home because they're winners. They showed it again by winning the US tournament. You really can't stop Aussie's rampaging around with clubs. For you poor poor people that remained American citizens this is just another sign that your athletes can't cut it.

Do you have that receipt on those products I sold you last year?
-J. Grimsley, Arizona.

My lawyer informs me that I showed mention anything about illegal column enhancing products I may have taken.

No comments: