Thursday, June 22, 2006

Unequal Justice

I’m sorry but I’m going to have to cry foul. Randy Johnson was suspended for five games after buzzing Eduardo Perez. RJ came high and tight on Perez but didn’t actually hit him. David Riske hit Chris Duncan and was only suspended for three games. One pitcher comes inside without making contact and gets five games. The other pitcher actually drills a batter and gets three games.

I’m not one to normally go hog-wild for conspiracy theories but I do know that Bud Selig owes his job as commissioner to White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf. And I do know that MLB’s dean of discipline, Bob Watson, was the Yanks’ former GM before being unceremoniously dumped by Boss Steinbrenner in favor of Brian Cashman. Watson had very bad things to say about his former employers at the time of his termination and has continued to speak poorly of them in the eight years since his dismissal.

When two identical incidents take place within seven days of eachother and the punishment for one incident exceeds the punishment for the other, well, I begin to wonder about the integrity of baseball’s judicial process. I hate the White Sox and I hate how they’re getting away with things left and right. Guillen should’ve been suspended last week for the Tracey/Blalock incident. Now their newly-acquired setup man gets off light. Amazing.

As an aside, I’d like to point out that 24 hours have passed since the story broke that Ozzie Guillen used a derogatory epithet and the Commissioner’s office has been silent on the matter. It is beyond unbelievable to me how passive Bud Selig is on all topics large and small. At the very least he could have publicly distanced himself and the league from Guillen’s statement and said that MLB doesn’t condone such language or behavior from one of its own. Not Selig, no sir. He doesn’t believe in, you know, actually upholding his responsibilities.

No comments: