Friday, June 02, 2006

Regrets

1. I’m sorry the New York Yankees weren’t able to complete their first four-game sweep of the Tigers in Detroit since 1926. Joe Torre once again demonstrated how he does not understand how to properly use his bullpen or his bench and thus cost the Yanks a chance at taking a ½ game lead over the idle Red Sox. In fairness, it wasn’t all his fault. Starting pitcher Chien-Ming Wang had nothing last night and the Yanks left 11 runners on base. Nevertheless, I hope someone can get through to Clueless Joe soon because with the rash of injuries the Yanks have suffered thus far, every squandered opportunity will hurt more as the days and weeks pass. As usual, Brian Cashman is the silent partner in all this. He’s everything you don’t want in an executive – passive, inept, and deferential to his subordinates to the point of being a self-saboteur – but I don’t foresee a change anytime soon.

2. I’m sorry the Buffalo Sabres weren’t able to beat the Carolina Hurricanes last night in the Wales Conference championship. Yes, you read that correctly, I referred to it by its proper historic name (believe it or not, I was once a hockey fan). Anyway, it’s a shame that a blue-collar town like Buffalo that loves its hockey won’t get to enjoy the Stanley Cup finals vs. Edmonton. Hopefully the Oilers can win back the Cup for Canada and for the rest of the world that thinks the NHL should get the hell out of ridiculous markets like Raleigh, North Carolina.

3. I’m sorry the Dallas Mavericks won last night because it now seems inevitable that the Heat and Mavs will match up in the NBA Finals. As much as I like Dwayne Wade, his awesome skill and pleasant demeanor won’t overpower the stench of a Cuban/Nowitzki vs. Riley/O’Neal series. We’re talking about three egomaniacal bastards and a sneering European. God help us.

4. I’m sorry the World Cup doesn’t excite me as much as it should. Part of the blame lies in the fact that USA Soccer executives don’t have the first idea of how to run an effective sports marketing campaign. Why isn’t Freddy Adu on the US World Cup team? If USA Soccer’s primary function is to grow the sport in the United States, why not have the most marketable and recognizable name in American soccer on the national team? Even if he isn’t considered good enough (I don’t profess to know the first thing about soccer so I don’t know if he is or isn’t good enough), soccer won’t ever eclipse arena football, hockey, beach volleyball, bull riding or professional bowling in the United States if easy fixes like this one aren’t made. Obviously I understand that the goal of the World Cup is to win; I applaud American efforts to field the best team possible in their noble (but unrealistic) pursuit of the World Cup championship. But I just can’t see why combining the goals of winning and expanding soccer’s fan base in the United States should be mutually exclusive.

Enjoy your weekend…hopefully it will be regret-free.

No comments: