Monday, March 19, 2007

Leading Off

1. I have decided to split up my 2007 MLB preview, handicapping the NL this week and continuing up with the AL next week. With 30 teams to go through, splitting it up this way will make it easier on the eyes, that’s for sure.

2. The Texas Longhorns probably soiled several brackets yesterday. And while I’m more than happy to blame them for taking a giant dump on the court, I’m just as happy to take my anger out on USC’s head coach Tim Floyd. Why, you ask? Because I don’t like him; never have. He was such an uninspired choice for the Bulls back in 1998 that I’ve hated him ever since. Although the demands of the job are quite different, guys like Tim Floyd ultimately prove the point of why it’s so much harder to coach in the NBA. Here’s a guy who got nothing – literally nothing – out of his Bulls teams and he gets to land on his feet, run a shady program in the nation’s second-largest market, and takes down a giant to make the Sweet 16. How can this two-bit idiot get away with this? Tim Floyd and his whiny face deserve a good beating. Here’s hoping that the UNC Tarheels beat the crap out of USC.

3. While we’re on the subject of college basketball, I’d just like to say that March Madness is indeed the single-greatest sporting event we have here in the United States. Frankly, I’d argue that it might be the best sporting event on the planet. As much fun as it was to watch the World Cup this past summer, I don’t think it compares to the excitement that a buzzer-beater generates. The frenetic pace of basketball just makes it a better experience overall.

No comments: