Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Props To Hart/Shut Up Sheff

First, props to Hart for the great topic. We got 12 comments (and counting) out of it. Nice one, Hitman!

Second, a quick shut up to Gary Sheffield. I love him, I think he's a great player and a big part of the Yanks but man is this guy selfish. I can't figure him out. By all accounts, he's a great teammate and a warrior of a player, going full speed while he's hurt, doing the little things, etc. How can he be such a great player, such a good teammate and a selfish jerk at the same time?

Gary Sheffield Story

Gary, if you don't want to join in the honor of representing the United States in the World Baseball Classic then, fine, stay home. If money is all you care about, I hope you enjoy sitting at home counting your millions while the rest of Team USA goes out there trying to win a gold. I lost a lot of respect for you today. You don't wear the Pinstripes well at all.

6 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

I'm not entirely aware of all that will go on for the World Baseball Classic but my feeling is that Sheffield's stance isn't that different from that of a number of NBA players who refused to play in the Olympics. Perhaps I am over simplifying things but I think there is a distinct difference often times between how willing American athlete are to play for their country and foreign athletes are to play for their country. Just a thought...

MJ said...

The blog get its first taste of relationship disharmony...

As a baseball fan, I want to see the best America has to offer. I want to see Clemens and Sheffield and Jeter and Derrek Lee and Prior out there for Team USA. If it's good enough for the Latin Americans and Asians, then it should be good enough for the Americans like Sheff.

Thanks to the strongest union in the United States, all MLB players have guaranteed contracts and full insurance. Sheffield could injure himself and still get 100% of his salary for the remainder of his contract.

I think the key is that his loyalty is "in spite of himself." Basically, he's doing good by the Yanks and their fans for all the wrong reasons. As a baseball fan, beyond anything I might feel for the Yanks, I don't think what Sheff is doing is anything to clap for. I want to see my stars go out there and battle the rest of the world.

MJ said...

I give up. There's no reasoning with her. To the moon, Beth, POW!

Mighty Mike said...

Luckily for me I don't suffer from yankee fandom so I can and will add a thought or two:

I don't think its fair to compare crashing a motorcycle and playing for ones country in the same context. Its one of motives. If someone really thinks that the original Dream Team had the same level of selfishness (or frankly any player whether pro or college that risks their career at the olymics) to doing trick jumps on a motorbike without a helmet I would probably say I would say its probably not exactly apropos .

Secondly, given the thought that players should focus all their energies and talents solely on their team any activity that risks injury and hence hurts the team should be avoided. By that logic Yankees fans should be jumping for joy that Jeter didn't make the all-star team and should villify A-Rod for agreeing to play.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Until the tournament has some sort of prestige, it's hard for Sheffield to justify playing. If the "World Cup of Baseball" proves to be an elite, exciting competition, then years down the road, future Sheffield-s may be willing to attend.

MJ said...

All the prestige in the world is attending the tournament. If ARod, Clemens, Tejada, Vlad, Manny et al. are playing then what more prestige could you ask for? This is the real deal.