Monday, July 18, 2005

Weekend of Champions

Great sports weekend.

Tiger won his 10th major at the British Open, becoming that tournament's first wire-to-wire champ in 32 years, making him 2 for 3 in majors so far this year and considerably silencing those critics who faulted him for changing his game.

Lance Armstrong added to his lead in the Tour de France, with a solid 2:46 lead over his nearest competitor - his largest lead at this stage since 2002.

And my personal favorite - showing more heart than they've ever been given credit for, the Yankees took 3 of 4 from Boston... at Fenway... with only 2/5 of their rotation going into the series... featuring 3 HRs for the series from A-Rod (indescribably huge), an embarrassing loss for Schilling's not-so-triumphant return, and surprisingly (considering he wasn't even a Yankee going into the series), an inspiring and gutsy outing by Al Leiter.

Oh, and I placed 1,921st in the 5-mile race I ran and beat MJ twice at ping-pong.

Now, if only Bernard Hopkins could have retained his title I could truly say all is as it should be in the sports world.

5 comments:

MJ said...

It really was a great sports weekend. Despite my ping-pong losses to Beth, I was able to demo the Nike Ignite 460cc driver, which is the same club Tiger uses. For anyone interested in golf, let me just say that the Nike Ignite has to be the best damn driver on earth. I was crushing the ball like Sheffield against the Green Monster.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

I'd like to hear more about these ping-pong battles. I think that could make a good blog column!

Mighty Mike said...

I also approve of hearing tales of MJ being vanquished on the ping pong battlefield

MJ said...

Not only did Beth beat me twice on the ping-pong table but she ran her record against me to a perfect 8-0 in all-time ping-pong competition. She's the master of consistent play whereas I am easily distracted and can't close out the match. You can call me the Greg Norman of table tennis -- I've got skills, I just can't do anything when the stakes are high (and the stakes are never higher than when playing an inter-relationship ping-pong match).

B. Hutchens said...

Another great happening over the weekend was that Raffy Palmiero joined the likes of Eddie Murray, Hank Aaron, and Willie Mays in the 500 HRs/3000 hits club.