Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hall of Fame: Class of 2007

I’m working on a lot of different things right now but I couldn’t let the Hall of Fame issue slip too far from the radar.

I’d like to offer my warmest congratulations to Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken for making it into Cooperstown. They were two of the most upstanding citizens and two of the greatest ballplayers of my youth. I’ve never rooted for the Padres or Orioles, but I always rooted for Tony and Cal.

With respect to McGwire, there is no need to re-hash the issue. I feel strongly that he belongs in the Hall of Fame and I think it’s a shame that writers with a guilty conscience are trying to expunge their own sullied record on the steroids issue by making someone else pay the price. I have no idea if McGwire will ever make it into the Hall. What I do know, however, is that the Hall is full of cheaters. After all, it’s a part of baseball’s legacy to cheat.

I leave this topic behind (for now) with a quote from a Washington Post sports columnist. I think he sums it up very well:

“Cheating is baseball’s oldest profession. No other game is so rich in skullduggery, so suited to it or so proud of it.” – Thomas Boswell

No comments: