Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Timing is everything

Well, I was pretty impressed with the division series games in the playoffs this year. Lot of close games and I got to admit, I was pretty sad after the final game at the Metrodome. I will never forget that stadium because of the 1991 World Series (Twins/Braves). That was one of the most exciting World Series ever. And I will never forget Kirby Puckett making that leaping catch against the wall. Good stuff.
Anyway, does anyone else think the schedule of the Championship Series is idiotic?
The Phillies won yesterday and play the Dodgers on Thursday. Okay, two days off between series, i can see that. Not a big deal.
But, the Angels/Yanks, what the crap? Both teams finished their series on Sunday and then don't play until Friday? That's insane. That's four days with no baseball at all. Now, I'm gonna bitch and moan about tuesday and wednesday is no baseball at all, but that's just the entertainment aspect, which is one thing. However, four days in October, what is this gonna do to the players?
This is longest break between games for either team for the whole season. A team won't even go this long without playing during the all-star break. At the all-star break, unless you are an all-star, you'll play Sunday, then off til thursday. Here, its a day more than that. I think this is going to led to a bad start of the series for the AL LCS. I think that much time is too much and is going to have a bad effect on the game.

Two side notes:
1. I realized over the weekend that 7 of the 8 playoff teams in baseball all have Indians players from this season or last. That makes me sad, here they are:
Cardinals: Mark DeRosa
Rockies: Rafael Betancourt
Phillies: Cliff Lee and Ben Fransico
Dodgers: Casey Blake
Yankees: CC Sabathia
Red Sox: Victor Martinez
Twins: Carl Pavano
Angels: No one

It's really sad that the Indians have dealt away 8 quality players in the last two seasons that, most of which are enough of impact players to help a team down the stretch. In fact, because of Pavano, an argument can be made that the Twins may not have made the playoffs without him. Also, Lee and Sabathia were clearly difference makers for that team.
Not cool at all.

2. Gutsy and I were discussing the utterly pathetic-ness of the Browns. And another off-the-field dramatic event is overshadowing the browns first win of the season. Apparently, Mangini held a practice in which Rookie RB James Davis was practicing without pads, but the defense had pads. I'm utterly shocked an injury occurred. And now the NFL is investigating. Well, Gutsy was fuming about how he wants Mangini fired. I agreed, and exclaimed "This is the straw that broke the Mangina."

I think I have a new catchphrase.
Laz

No comments: