Friday, September 01, 2006

Changes In The Works At BSD?

I would like to announce to the world that Katz’s Turkey Sandwich on Rye is now a new co-editor of Back Seat Drivers. Mighty Mike fought valiantly but was defeated at the hands of an overstuffed deli plate.

(Please note that the sandwich pictured above was what I consumed with absolutely no second thoughts or hesitation. I think that qualifies me for a promotion here at BSD. I should now be known as “MJ – Columnist/Gourmand”). There better be a raise that goes with the new title.

It was great to see the Mighty One after so long. Hopefully he has less of a headache than I do this morning.

Onto sports...

1. Team USA was vanquished by my ancestors and relatives. I knew it was possible that Team USA would lose to the Greeks but I never thought it would be such a high-scoring affair. The Greek team is known for their airtight defense. So now it’s official, Greece has one of the best national sports programs in the country. They are the reigning European champions in both soccer (2004) and basketball (2005) and are guaranteed no less than a silver medal at the world basketball games. That’s pretty impressive for a pint-sized country with a national population that is only slightly larger than my hometown of New York. Team USA will have to settle for trying to win the bronze against Argentina.

2. College football is underway. I won’t write much about it except to wish good luck to Ohio State (my adopted team for the purposes of annoying the Michigan fans around here) and to send a shout-out to our very own Colonel Sanders who will be at The Horseshoe with his parents and girlfriend tomorrow afternoon.

3. Ryan Howard hit his 49th homer of the season, making him the single-season homerun king of the Philadelphia Phillies. By passing Mike Schmidt, Howard has left his imprint on one of baseball’s oldest franchises. Howard is a lot of fun to root for. If the Phillies make the playoffs, he’s got my MVP vote.

No comments: