Friday, September 22, 2006

Cheer and Jeers: AppleJacks Edition

Ingredients for Jack Daniel's Original Recipe:

Well over here in Cheers and Jeers land we celebrate the New Year the right way. None of this mansy-pansy apples and honey stuff. No, when you celebrate the New Year you have to saddle up and take drinks that burns off leg hair. Anyway here's a few New Year's resolutions:
1) Since rooting for my favorite teams isn't seeming to help them win I resolve to root for their opponents. I refuse to give malaise to my teams any longer.
2) I resolve not to get annoyed at some of the ESPN analysts. Just because Mark May is illiterate or Sean Salisbury ego has put 30 pounds on (mainly on his face) or Lou Holtz is senile does not mean that they are bad people....just bad analysts.
3) I resolve that after drinking AppleJacks I will no longer make threatening calls to NASA.
4) I resolve to not follow the news as closely. Man is it depressing.
5) Finally I resolve to go to the OSU v. Michigan game. Unless I can make a lot money off the tickets and then I'll watch it on tv with the rest of the populace. Go Mighty wallet and undefeated seasons!

and now a little Cheering and Jeering.....

Cheers: To the LA Dodger remarkable comeback. I hope everyone caught the highlights of the Dodgers hitting 5 HRs in 2 innings. Whether you like team LA or not it's not something your likely to see again for a long long time and hence should be appreciated.

Jeers: To Pac 10 officiating. It's bad enough that the Pac 10 still hasn't learned the fine art of something scholars are calling "defense" but add in horrific refing and well you have cause for boycotting the league. The bungling of the OU versus OU game was as bad officiating as I've seen.

Jeers: The BALCO reporters for getting 18 months in jail. Legalities aside, without actual reporting which requires anonymous sources remaining journalist will join the mainstream rush for yellow dog journalism. Why spend time, money and effort with the risk of imprisonment if a few opinions off the cuff are worth just as much. Damn, I already broke my vow about reading the depressing news.

Cheers: To Ryder Cup. Ryder is the one major event that has really stymied Tiger Woods. Europe and its own brand of craptacular journalism insulted Tiger, which made Tiger angry and as we all know, they won't like Tiger if he's angry. Citizens of Ireland are reportedly fleeing the island as we speak.

and final cheers: To Bill Murray who turned 56 this week. Murray wasn't well known until his Cinderella like win when the former groundskeeper captured the Masters.

Cheers and Jeers in the news.....

"The new Thai junta curbed the usage of Cheers and Jeers until full order could be imposed."
-Reuters

No comments: