Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Something I Can't Cheer

Like many sports enthusiasts, I'm no fan of Terrell Owens. For reasons that do not need explanation, I generally find his antics and attitude to be reprehensible. True, there are pro athletes that have done far worse (e.g. actually committed crimes), but that doesn't excuse T.O. from some of the nonsense he's pulled.

So I cheered a little when the Eagles suspended him last season. I loved when George Teague knocked him on his ass when he tried for the second time to spike a ball in the middle of the Texas Stadium star. I didn't shed a tear when he broke his finger a few weeks ago.

But today's story - that he may have attempted suicide last night - is something I wouldn't wish on Owens. He's an asshole, but he hasn't actually hurt anybody other than himself. I can't say I'm itching to see him play football again, but I do hope that he straightens out whatever demons are in his head and gets through this latest drama.

No comments: