Thursday, September 14, 2006

Week 2- Top QB Brother Duos

As opposed to dwelling on the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing when it comes to picking NFL games or playing fantasy football, I think its best if I just come up with a fun topic to divert my attention and to divert the wrath of any readers.

Last Sunday, Peyton Manning beat little brother Eli Manning. In an unrelated note, KC was forced to name Damon Huard as its starting QB. Which immediately confused me, because I thought his name was Brock Huard. Of course, I soon realized they were just another set of NFL QB brothers. I then started to think about the collection of QB Brothers off the top of my head (some active players, some inactive) and thought it only appropriate if we rank them:

1) Peyton & Eli Manning – obviously the best QB Brother Duo in the NFL. Ever. And that’s with Eli only playing 1 year.
2) Matt & Tim Hasselbeck – Everybody knows Matt. As for Tim, he is married to this hot chick who was on the show Survivor. After Matt lost in the Super Bowl to the Steelers, I heard that Tim told Matt, that “winners go home and screw the prom queen.” So, Tim’s a winner in my book despite being a backup QB and bouncing around the league.
3) Luke & Josh McCown – I guess the McCown brothers are the 3rd-best duo. Josh looked pretty good on the Cardinals last year. Josh was drafted by former Browns coach Butch Davis, and as 90% of Butch Davis draft picks turned out to be disastrous, Luke may be cursed. For life.
4) Doug & Darren Flutie – Darren played receiver in the CFL, but I’m guessing that at some point, he attempted a pass. I think this duo beats out the other competition based on Doug’s 1 magical year in Buffalo (even though Bills head coach Wade Phillips had the brilliant idea to start Rob Johnson in the playoff game… and allow the Music City Miracle)
5) Brock & Damon Huard- Damon is now the starting QB for the Chiefs, but Brock is a much cooler name.
6)Ty & Koy Detmer – No QB Brother duo list is complete without the Detmer brothers. Ty once threw 7 INTs in a game.
7) Bernie & Hector Kosar – If only there were more tall, immobile QBs who threw the ball sidearm-style.

On to the games!
Manwich Matchup of the Week -
N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia – I realize most of America may still claim that Philly only beat up on a hapless Houston Texan team. However, I still can’t get around the fact that the Eagles probably still have solid O and D-lines, and had a myriad of injuries last season, all aside from the fact that TO and McNabb were off the team for the second half. This game is also pretty fascinating because the Giants can suddenly start off the season at 0-2. This game is a tossup, so I’ll give the edge to the crazy Philly fans. Pick: Philly

Upset of the Week - Detroit at Chicago – Could this be where Martz, Kitna, and Roy Williams break free? Pick: Detroit

Buffalo at Miami – Buffalo played the Patriots pretty tough last week. Not sure whether the Pats stink, or Buffalo is good. I’ll hesitantly go with Miami, though Culpepper is not looking sharp at all. Pick: Miami

Carolina at Minnesota - Eeesh. This is why week 2 is causing me problems. How quickly do I give up on my biases and go with the hot team? Pick: CAR

Cleveland at Cincinnati - Best graphic from last week’s Browns game – at the end of the first quarter, the Browns had 1 yard passing and 1 yard rushing. Best comment from last week’s Browns game - according to the announcers, 2 things got Kellen Winslow through his injuries – 1) video games and 2) his wife. That’s a real quote. Pick: Cincinnati

Houston at Indianapolis – I’m intrigued by the Texans addition of RB Samkon Gado, but then I rememberd that the Houston O-line still stinks. Pick: Indy

New Orleans at Green Bay – I’m more intrigued by why the Packers got the Texans RB and gave up on Gado. Pick: New Orleans

Oakland at Baltimore - I know Week 1 is not necessarily indicative of the whole season, but I feel completely wrong about Aaron Brooks putting up Jeff George-Raider numbers (4000 yards, 30 TDs). Its hard to put up those kind of numbers if you get benched. Pick: Baltimore

Tampa Bay at Atlanta – Teams in opposite directions? Pick: Atlanta

Arizona at Seattle – I don’t think this is the week the Madden curse starts to take hold of the Seahawks. Not yet. Pick: Seattle

St. Louis at San Francisco – Jim Haslett is putting together quite the week 1 resume (last year, as head coach of the Saints, they took down Carolina ; this year, as defensive coordinator of the Rams, he took down Denver and made Jake Plummer feel beaten like a rented mule). Pick: St. Louis

Kansas City at Denver – Damon’s first start is in Denver, which I hear is lovely this time of year. Pick: Denver

New England at N.Y. Jets - I’m so utterly sick of everyone saying the Patriots have no receivers, they are so doomed, how can a team win without experienced receivers, this is the end of an era, etc. etc. etc. 1) Branch and Givens were good, but they were not pro bowl caliber receivers ; 2) the Pats already reloaded to some extent (drafted C. Jackson, acquired D. Gabriel as a #4, got R. Caldwell from San Diego), 3) this is not much of a dropoff, 4) unless your team lost a Randy Moss or TO in its prime (certainly not the case here), the success of the team is still based on the O-line and D-lines! If the Pats stink it up this season, I highly doubt it will be because of the receiver set. Sorry, had to get that out of my system. I just blacked out during that. Pick: New England

Tennessee at San Diego – San Diego, Super chargers! Pick: San Diego

Washington at Dallas- another NFC East matchup that is quite intriguing, as one team will probably be 0-2 afterwards (yes, there is the mathematical possiblity of an 0-1-1). I believe Drew Bledsoe will keep bringing his team down. Tony Romocop would never let Cowboy fans down, because his directives are to “serve the public, protect the innocent, and uphold the law.” Pick: Washington

Pitt @ Jacksonville- Charlie Bisnatch may have saved the Steelers last week. I’m trying to be more objective, and though I hate the Steelers, I feel like picking against them would be foolish. Pick: Pitt

Last Week: 7-9 (yeah, already below .500 ! )
Manwich: 1-0 (thanks Indy!)
Upset of the Week: 0-1 (Aaron Brooks hurt me, I learned my lesson. Don’t pick the Raiders.)

No comments: