Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Week 15 - Football All Over the World

I just realized, that in my 5th month of my free 6 months of “digital channels”, I’ve been getting the “Fox Soccer Channel!” It’s pretty cool, because I can pretty much listen to British soccer announcers whenever I want, and the British version of Sportscenter is awesome, with tons of sarcasm (and no puff pieces). I was fortunate enough to catch part of the Chelsea-Arsenal game on Sunday afternnoon right before the NFL football games started. These are 2 of the bigger spenders in Euro soccer, and I just happened to turn it on in the 75th minute. I think the next 20 minutes was some of the most exciting, insane soccer action I’ve seen. First, Arsenal scored in the 77th minute on a simple give-and-go play just outside the box. Then, Chelsea answered in about the 85th minute on what the announcers called a “35-yard magnificent strike!,” by Michael Essien (part of the Ghana team that beat the US in the World Cup). Essien shot was a one-timer from 35-yards out, that bent in. It bent just enough that when he first hit the ball, it didn’t seem like it was going to be even close. The next 10 minutes were frantic as all hell – Arsenal had one player shank a breakaway from 10 yards out, and Chelsea ended up hitting the crossbar in the 89th minute and the post from point-blank in the 93rd minute! It was awesome. I’m going to try to soak up as much soccer as I can in my last month of getting the soccer channel. I also learned a new word last week: “poly-filler”. It means a guy that can play any position, because “he can fill any hole.” Those Brits are smart asses. I wonder if the fans of the teams get sick of the smart ass comments?

On to the other football games this week…
Manwich Matchup of the Week
Cincy @ Indy- Cincy is red-hot, and Indy isn’t capable of stopping anyone at this point. I don’t even see Peyton stopping this sudden slide, barring a dramatic turnaround. Pick: Cincy

Upset of the Week
Dallas @ Atlanta- Intriguing game and its really unclear to me which Vick or which Falcons team will show up. I think the Falcons are hungrier, even though I realize that seems illogical, especially after Romo and the Cowboys got beat down last week, but I think the Falcons will be pulling out all the stops this weekend. Pick: Atlanta

San Fran @ Seattle- Seattle at home still seems like more of a sure thing. Pick: Seattle

Cleveland at Baltimore – I can only hope that the game is not as awful as this picture… Pick: Baltimore

Detroit at Green Bay – I don’t think you could pay me to watch this. Pick: Green Bay

Houston at New England – What the hell happened to the Pats last week? It’s like they already drank too much egg-nog, and its only the second week of December. Pick: New England

Jacksonville at Tennessee – In one corner, is a team that only beats good teams that is eyeing a 2006 playoff spot. In the other corner, is a team eyeing a 2007 playoff spot. Pick: Tennessee

Miami at Buffalo – The Miami defense is like nothing the Bills have seen, because the Dolphins are a completely different team than in the first half. Pick: Miami

N.Y. Jets at Minnesota – Minnesota will do everything humanly possible to finish at 0-4 versus the AFC. Pick: JETS

Philadelphia at N.Y. Giants – Now that the Giants won a game, they have yet another playoff elimination game! I can’t remember a team having all of its crucial head-to-head matchups so late in the season. I then looked at Philly’s schedule these next 3 weeks: 1) at Giants, 2) at Dallas, 3) Atlanta. Wow, that also really sucks! On an unrelated note, I can’t understand why the 76ers management chose to say “we will trade Iverson very quickly.” Were they even paying attention last season, when the Pacers tried the same tactic with Artest? Talk about putting yourself in a poor negotiating position! Pick: Giants

Pittsburgh at Carolina – this one should be a crappy slugfest, full of teams that “could have” been good. Pick: Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay at Chicago – Here’s how I think a British soccer announcing team would call Hester’s 2nd kickoff return for TD: " hesterHester… Hester… HESTER… HESTERRRRR!" Color commentator: "Twice as Sensational!" Pick: Chicago

Washington at New Orleans – I am proud to introduce, your 21st Century America’s Team, your New Orleans Saints! Pick: New Orleans

Denver at Arizona – I think Jake Plummer should play against his old team. Pick: Denver

Kansas City at San Diego – I just realized the Chiefs are only 3-6 against the AFC, yet are still struggling to remain in the playoff competition due to a 4-0 record against the NFC. Pick: SD

St. Louis at Oakland- Toilet bowl! Toilet bowl! Did you know? The Raiders haven’t cracked the 14-point barrier since Week 8. Pick: St. Louis

Last Week: 8-8 (unacceptable I say)
Season: 124-88
Manwich: 10-5 (Thank you Drew Brees, thank you America’s team!)
Upset of the Week: 4-10 (Doubling down with the Saints for Manwich and Upset worked out pretty well!)

No comments: