Friday, December 29, 2006

Week 17 - The End of the Beginning

There are so many crazy playoff scenarios for this week. I’m not sure whether I should be biased, and just pick the outcome I want to happen, or just pick the games as normal. I’m going to try picking the games as normal without looking too much at the playoff scenarios (though it was impossible to avoid knowing that the JETS and the Broncos only need wins to get in). Last week, I picked with my heart and ended up going 5-11. Ouch! I’m still in utter shock that the Green Bay Packers, the Packers!, are in probably the best position to make the playoffs if the Giants should lose to Washington.

Manwich Matchup of the Week
Jacksonville at Kansas City – Because this is a 1PM game, and both teams are 8-7, this is certainly the sexiest matchup on the schedule. No matter how silly it sounds, I think I have to go with KC at home, rather than Jacksonville on the road, simply because of their respective home and road records. Pick: KC

Upset of the Week?
NYG @ Washington- Well, I’m not really sure what to make of the Giants. I mean, the odds are actually pretty high right now that they are going to just lose out the season, and fail to qualify. I don’t expect all the 7-8 NFC teams to lose, though part of me is rooting for that to happen. Pick: Washington

New England at Tennessee- Tennessee needs too much help to get in the playoffs. If I picked with my heart, I would pick the scenario allowing the Titans to be the first 0-5 team EVER to make the playoffs. It’s strange how my 2007 playoff chant about a month ago almost has turned into a 2006 playoff appearance. Pick: Tennessee

Atlanta at Philadelphia – Atlanta’s another team that is just fading away. Gotta stick with the red-hot Jeff Garcia. Pick: Philly

Buffalo at Baltimore – Baltimore is still playing for a bye, and possibly even homefield. Pick: Baltimore

Carolina at New Orleans – I’m extremely torn on this game. But my rule of thumb is to typically go against the team with nothing to play for, and the Saints are locked in at the #2 seed. Pick: CAR

Cleveland at Houston – QB Ken Dorsey is starting for the Browns. This guy once was like 38-2 in college football, and then went to the pros… and the rest is history. Pick: Houston

Detroit at Dallas – Even the Cowboys can take down the Lions. Right? If the Lions win, that would be like Rocky Balboa fighting his son after a boxing match for the “Right to Fight” under the Balboa name. I still think Rocky Balboa will find a way to make a Rocky 7, because Rocky is a winner. Pick: Dallas

Green Bay at Chicago – Welcome to your Sunday Night matchup! The Bears are resting everyone, and the NFL Network is hoping people tune in to watch Favre’s (possibly) last game. Honestly, I don’t understand the enfatuation with watching someone’s LAST game. Usually, the person is past-their-prime, makes lots of mistakes, and its just an utter disaster. Pick: Chicago

Miami at Indianapolis – Who the hell is Miami QB Cleo Lemon? Sounds like a fortune-telling used car salesman to me. Pick: Indy

Oakland at N.Y. Jets – Such bullshit. Pick: Jets

Pittsburgh at Cincinnati – Of all the strange losses by the Steelers, the one that certainly seemed to seal their fate was that loss to the RAIDERS when they had like 6 turnovers. Imagine if the Steelers had won that game, and both the Steelers and the Bengals were 8-7 in this game? Now, that would have certainly qualified for Manwich status. Pick: Cincy

Seattle at Tampa Bay – I don’t believe that Seattle even cares at this point. Pick: Tampa Bay

St. Louis at Minnesota – Yawnn… I’m just going to think back to when both teams were good, and Kurt Warner and Randy Moss were awesome. Pick: St. Louis.

Arizona at San Diego – The Chargers are going to lock up homefield in a place that they haven’t lost yet this year! Pick: San Diego

San Francisco at Denver- What bad luck for all the other AFC teams. Pick: Denver
[Under my game-by-game predictions, Jets and Denver are AFC wildcards and based on the NFL.com playoff scenarios http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9817776 , the CAR Panthers end up making the playoffs! Actually, it does seem like all of the NFC 7-8 teams could lose this week! FYI – I just picked 14 home teams and only 2 road teams. That’s never going to happen.]

Last Week: 5-11 (I hope that’s the worst I’ve ever been)
Season: 134-105
Manwich: 10-7 (Stupid Jaguars)
Upset of the Week: 5-11 (The Titans cannot be stopped!)

No comments: