Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thanks A Million, Buck

Some time ago, Mighty Mike named me as one of the 2006 Baseball Fellows for the Buck O’Neil Institute for Baseball Excellence. Certainly, this was a facetious honorarium but it nevertheless appealed to me because of how much I think Buck O’Neil did for the wonderful game of baseball.

Anyway, I’ve decided to donate a small amount to this charity in Buck’s memory. The National Baseball Hall of Fame missed a wonderful opportunity to enshrine Buck O’Neil this past summer. Regardless of if he makes it into Cooperstown or not, I’d like to think that I can help make sure that Buck gets his own Hall of Fame.

I am not shilling here. If you can’t give, no problem. But I do ask for this much: if you ever liked baseball, at least keep Buck around in your memory. He’s one of the game’s great underappreciated treasures.

No comments: