Saturday, October 06, 2007

BSD Goes to Game 3, or, No Joy in Mudville

I had the misfortune of being at Wrigley Field tonight for the series-ending Game 3 between the Cubbies and the Diamondbacks. What was a raucous crowd at the beginning was quickly silenced by a first pitch homer by Chris Young (my new least favorite player, thanks to a brief moment of showboating as he crossed the plate). Try as we might to rally our boys to a victory - never before has that stadium been as loud as it was with the bases full with 1 out in the 5th - the Cubs apparently forgot to bring any offense with them to the postseason. On a warm, muggy night, we watched the home team meekly bow out with but a whimper.

Not to take anything away from the D-backs, who played quite well - but you just can't win if you don't hit. Axiomatic, I know. Soriano, DLee, and Aramis combined to hit 6 for 38. Aramis himself was 0-for-12. Just pathetic.

I'm now 0-4 lifetime at Cubs playoff games (I was also in the stands for Games 1, 6, and 7 of the Cubs-Marlins series in '03 - yes, the Bartman game too). I've been to each of the last two series-clinchers. I'm inclined to say I'm the bad luck...but that'd be ignoring the 69 years that came before me.

Wait 'til next year...

No comments: