Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cheers and Jeers: Boston Burnout Edition

Ingredients:
• 1 shot Root beer schnapps (or liquer)
• 1 shot Amaretto
• 1 shot Butterscotch schnapps (or liquer)
• 1 shot Bacardi 151 proof rum
• Top off with 4 shots Irish cream (Bailey's)
• 4 to 6 drops Tabasco sauce

(Here at BSD we’ve been moving up in the popularity scale so we’ve been able to get THE Sports Guy to do a little columning for Cheers and Jeers…so without further ado…Bill Simmons)

This Friday starts the ALCS. Boston v. Cleveland. Red Sox v. Indians. As I am a professional writer or at least that’s what my self-made nameplate says I figured I’d break the series down with my patented number ranking system.

1. Apparently my editor says there is also something called an NLCS. Yeah well I told him what I told my wife…not going there. I stick to what I know and that’s Boston, slacks that fit and umm going to Vegas with my buddies

2. The greatest players in all of baseball are (in no particular order) are Jon Papelbon, Josh Beckett, Kevin Youkilis and Jason Varitek. Oh they’re all on Boston and white? Hmm must be coincidence.

3. Do you know who I blame for the Yankees disaster? Isaiah Thomas. Yep if Isaiah hadn’t made those trades that netted them better players then the Yankees would have won the series before they lost to Boston. Wait where was I going with this? Something about Tom Brady’s eyes…I dunno

4. So this area in the middle of the country that’s not LA, Boston or New York… do people like live there? I’m uncertain. Maybe it would require research but I assume they just roam around waiting for a Red Sox v. Yankees game or agonize over if the Celtics will win 3 or 7 championships with KG or wish they were in Vegas every other day.

5. Does anyone really think this series will go four games? I mean this is Boston versus Cleveland. Baaaston. The greatest place on Earth (it just so happens I live in LA). Versus Cleveland. The place that I still can’t figure out what Lebron is doing there. I say Indians face Beckett, lose, and then in third inning surrender to Schilling. Maybe even convert to his religion. Who knows. Nonetheless I say Red Sox in 1.5 games

Anyway back to your normal Mighty Mike and his cheering and jeering…

Cheers: To the best games of the weekend: any baseball game (especially CC v. Beckett), Kentucky v. LSU, Oklahoma v. Missouri (hey did anyone know Missouri is undefeated) and Dallas v. New England (winner is appointed Greatest in History), and Washington v. Green Bay

Legend has it that if you don't root for the Indians, Playoff Pete will come and get you

Cheers: To the Wang Dance. An Australian Rugby player was caught in the background of a video making his umm member do swirls. And yes it does look like a Q

Speaking of Wangs...Tim Tebow

Cheers: To Natalie Portman. In her upcoming film “Hotel Chevalier” Portman will be in a nude scene (which can be partly scene via the link). And who says writing letters never helped the world. I wrote to Natalie. Natalie took off her clothes. I think her ass cured AIDS or something. Well it brightened my day at least

Jeers: To Stanford. Way to go Harbaugh and your Stanford Trees. I could sit around saying only that Team up North choked against inferior competition until last Saturday. Now that you’ve won nobody is mentioning Appalachian State as EVEN the biggest upset of the year. Thanks a lot guys

The Stanford Tree gets all the chicks....

Your youtube clip of the week: Classic Chris Farley in a dance-off
Fact of the Week that will send Publius to Drinking: Last month Global Warming caused the Arctic to melt to the point that the Northwest Passage actually existed actually existed. In other words thick ice this summer in the Arctic was 1/40th of the level recorded in 1987.

And now our C&J gal of the week and also Esquire’s Sexiest Woman of 2007…Charlize Theron

No comments: