Saturday, December 03, 2005

Hot Stove Part XIII / More Marlins Movement; The Dodgers Make A Move; Other Tidbits

Another day, another trade for the once-existing and now completely dead Marlins franchise. Luis Castillo was traded to the Minnesota Twins for a couple of minor league pitchers, one of whom is actually supposed to be good.

I'm just going to come out and say it: I'm not a Luis Castillo fan. It's not that he's got major problems with his game it's just that he doesn't have much of a game anymore. For a guy that's only 30, he's lost a lot of what made him productive. He no longer steals bases and he's gone from a great fielder to just an above-average one. Plus, don't the Twins already have a roster full of players that don't drive in runs? Frankly, I don't see what the Twins did this for; this hasn't made them any better in my opinion.

Next up in the conga line out of Miami are Juan Pierre and Paul Lo Duca. I am not sure where Lo Duca may end up but I'm sure someone with a minor leaguer and a shoebox of cash will claim him from the Fish. As for Pierre, the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox are looking at him. The Yanks, after saying they weren't interested, are now the frontrunners for his services.

On the one hand, I hope they get him because he's an above-average defensive centerfielder and because he can swipe a bag with the best of them. On the other hand, I don't trust Joe Torre to do the right thing and bat Pierre ninth, where he belongs. I'm very much afraid that Torre will bat Pierre in the leadoff spot where he absolutely doesn't belong. Jeter's a better leadoff hitter (stats back me up on this) and having Pierre bat ninth with Jeter as protection would mean better pitchers for the little runt to swing at (he needs all the help he can get). I pray that if the Yanks get Pierre someone is kind enough to let Torre know that Pierre's greatest utility to the team is at the end of the lineup.

In other free agent news, the LA Dodgers signed Rafael Furcal to be their new starting shortstop. Incumbent shortstop Cesar Izturis will be moved to second base and Jeff Kent will be moved to first base to make room for Furcal and the Dodgers are paying him a shade under $40M for the next three years. In case you're wondering, that's about $13M a year, making him the second-highest paid player at that position after Derek Jeter. I've got to ask this question -- if the LA Dodgers couldn't score runs last year, why would they pay Furcal $13M when it only cost $12M (still an outrageous sum, if you ask me) to get Konerko. I'm not saying Konerko would've gone there but still, isn't making the offer (even if to drive up the price) part of being an effective GM? What else would I expect of new Dodgers GM Ned Coletti? After all, he gave Grady Little an interview to be his next manager. I wish I were kidding...This isn't to say that Furcal isn't a decent player but he's certainly not worth the money paid to him and he's altogether the wrong player for the Dodgers. The Braves or Cubs would've been better off with him although certainly not at that price. One wonders what the Braves will be like in 2006, what with another veteran gone and the Mets with added firepower.

* * * * *

My "other tidbits" section includes:

1. The recommendation to all sports fans to watch, tape, or TiVo next Saturday's Ronald "Winky" Wright fight on HBO2. I know I'm in the minority here as a fight fan but believe me when I tell you that Winky fights are fun fights to watch. He's beaten Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley in his last couple of fights. He's in the prime of his career. He's worth 40 minutes of your time.

2. My mild annoyance that Chad Johnson was fined $5,000 for his "putt-putt" celebration last week. I wish the NFL would loosen up a little bit. The celebration was amusing, it didn't hold up or slow down the game, and it wasn't taunting in nature. What's the big deal? Also, why the double standard against offensive celebrations? Why can DE's, who have the easiest jobs in the NFL besides kickers and punters, go completely overboard with sack dances and all that stuff? Why can they make six-shooters out of their fingers or swat pretend-homeruns but Chad Johnson can't take 20 seconds to putt a ball two feet with the endzone pylon? I'm not saying DE's should be penalized. I'm just saying the NFL should lay off the heavy-handed fines for offensive celebrations. As long as they're not offending anyone or holding up the flow of the game, let the fans enjoy a bit of original entertainment.

3. My disgust at the University of Texas football team. They beat the University of Colorado 70-3 in today's Big XII "Championship" game. Say what you will about the SEC's down year or about how Florida State sucked it up in 2005 but know this: Colorado being in any sort of championship game is the funniest joke since "The Aristocrats." Not only is Colorado football a national punchline but so is the Big XII Conference. For that matter, way to pile on, Mack Brown. Way to show class. Obviously you're trying to get everyone to forget about all those years where all you'd do is shit the bed in the big game so you run up the score like Spurrier would just to cover up your own insecurities. I hope USC destroys you in Pasadena.

For the record, if there are any UT fans here or if anyone is outraged that I'd bash the Longhorns but not levy the same criticism at the USC Trojans for beating UCLA 66-19, all I can say is tough luck. The National Champs were actually in a close game in the first half so I don't blame them for making sure the win was at hand. Furthermore, they were playing their big rivalry game whereas Texas was just beating up on just another hapless, bumbling bunch of losers from their conference.

4. My further disgust that yet another congressional panel will be convened, this time to examine the BCS selection process. Once again, the government is showing itself to be a completely worthless and ineffectual body of toupee-wearing thieves and grandstanders. Looking the other way when Wyoming gets more Homeland Security money than NYC? Acceptable to them. Looking the other way when Wyoming State wants to party in the BCS? NEVER! For that, we must hold hearings. I hate American politics. I've never been more ashamed of the 538 members of the legislative branch of our federal government. They absolutely offend me at every turn.

No comments: