Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Hot Stove Part XXIII / The Idiot

What's worse? Saying “if you can't beat 'em, join 'em” or “there’s no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they’re going to come after me hard. It’s definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It’s not what I need.” I think they’re both bad, personally.

The first quote is Jason Giambi’s, upon signing with the Yankees in December 2001 and the second belongs to Johnny Damon, from back in May 2005, when asked if he’d ever play for New York. The first quote is from the mouth of a lifelong loser who knows nothing about the struggles and sacrifices required to win. The second is from the mouth of a self-professed “Idiot” who clearly has no conviction in his own words.

And with that, I announce the Yankees’ signing of Johnny Damon to a four year, $52M contract to lead off and play CF.

From a baseball point of view, this move is a mixed bag. Damon is 32 years old and has never been on the DL or had a history of injuries so it is reasonable to expect that he’ll perform for at least two and maybe three years of this contract. It’s not even unreasonable to expect that he might produce in the fourth year, although I’ll take production for two and a half seasons and be thankful for anything thereafter. The money isn’t outrageous given the fact that Rafael Furcal is making the same money for LA but isn’t as good a hitter. Also, Bernie Williams has been paid $36M over the last three seasons and his skills had declined precipitously so paying a Bernie-sized amount to a better player doesn’t bother me. What does bother me, from a baseball standpoint, is that Damon’s arm is nonexistent and his range is questionable in a bigger outfield. Also, he’s never hit well at Yankee Stadium, where he’ll now be getting 270-310 AB’s a year.

From a fan’s perspective, I am sick over this move. Baseball executives rarely make moves with the fan in mind and that is a good thing. If every move were subject to the vetting of a fan base, nothing would get done and chaos would reign supreme. However, I doubt very much than ANY Yankee fan is excited and happy to see Damon as a member of the team. I wonder if Yankee fans will ever warm to him. I know there’s no chance that I will.

From a baseball point of view, the Yankee defense is as bad as it was last year but their offense, on paper, should be record-setting. They should score over 1,000 runs in 2006 and Jeter will enjoy batting in his natural #2 spot, between Damon and ARod. Considering the money and the years, the Yanks did fine with this move. I should add that before anyone argues the traditional pitching-and-defense reasons why the Yanks didn't need another bat, I have statistical evidence that they desperately needed another bat, but I'll argue that if/when it's addressed. In the meantime...

In the end, the Yankees are better for this signing. But 2006 will be the third straight year that I boycott Yankee Stadium. I won’t pay to see players that I hate – Giambi, Mussina, Pavano, Wright, and now Damon (and, of course, GM Brian Cashman) – and I don’t care if my principled stand doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. It means something to me.

No comments: