Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Week 16 – And then there were 17

According to NFL.com, only 5 more teams have to be eliminated to complete the playoff field of 12. As always, I’m going to be biased as hell, and make picks that will fulfill my wishful thinking.

Manwich Matchup of the Week-
San Diego @ KC- Anytime you have a virtual play-in game for the playoffs during the season, you know it just smells like Manwich. Since I really want to pick San Diego, I’m going to buttress my prediction with some research: In 1989 the 10-0 49ers lost to the Rams, the next week the Rams won on the road; in 1998 the 13-0 Broncos lost to the NY Giants, the next week the Giants won at home; in 2003, the 9-0 Chiefs lost to the Bengals, and the following week the Bengals won on the road. There can only be one choice! The Super-Chargers are making a playoff push!
Pick: San Diego

Upset of the Week-
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland- I know I shouldn’t do this. But I just feel like nothing would be more satisfying than the Browns wrecking the Steelers playoff chances. I don’t know how this will happen, but Frye must play the game of his life. When you have a rivalry game, anything’s possible (I hope).
Pick: Cleveland

NY Giants @ Washington- I don’t understand why the Giants are an underdog, but I’m going to run with it.
Pick: NY Giants

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay – All I know is that Tampa Bay has Vick’s number and this season has been marred by inconsistency and I point to that sloppy loss against Green Bay as the reason for their downfall.
Pick: Tampa Bay

Buffalo @ Cincy- Cincy’s got to make a run for a bye.
Pick: Cincy

Dallas @ CAR – And in the end, the Dallas offensive line could only protect the immobile Bledsoe for 13 games of the 16 season.
Pick: CAR

Detroit @ New Orleans- 2 hapless teams that will be sure to screw up someone’s fantasy football championship.
Pick: New Orleans

Jacksonville @ Houston- Jacksonville may become one of the worst 12-4 teams. Their reward is most likely going to be a trip to New England Patriots.
Pick: Jacksonville

San Fran @ St. Louis- Did you know? Alex Smith played on the same high school team as Reggie Bush!
Pick: St. Louis

Tennessee @ Miami – Miami moves another step closer to being my 2006 Sleeper. Then again, if they finish at 9-7, they really can’t be a sleeper.
Pick: Miami

Philly @ Arizona- Ryan Moats is showing exactly why a team doesn’t have to spend much on its Running backs.
Pick: Philly

Indy @ Seattle- It’s sad that this game couldn’t have happened in week 8, when both teams would have had a lot on the line.
Pick: Seattle

Oakland @ Denver- A Norv Turner-led team in Denver doesn’t sound like a good idea.
Pick: Denver

Chicago @ Green Bay- I was so annoyed by ESPN committing like 20 minutes to the “end of Favre” on Tuesday morning. Favre slipped about 3 years ago.
Pick: Chicago

Minnesota @ Baltimore- You can’t sink a sex boat.
Pick: Minnesota

New England @ NY Jets- The Patriots have been quite resurgent and even I’m growing scared of them now.
Pick: New England

Last week: 10-6
Season: 145-79
Manwich Matchup: 9-6 (Tiki Barber powered the Giants to victory)
Upset Special: 3-12 (Before the Chargers beat the Colts last week, I hadn’t correctly picked an upset right since picking the Vikings over the Packers at the beginning of the Post-Sex Boat win streak)

No comments: