Friday, December 23, 2005

In Brief...

Some things that piqued my interest this morning...

1. Wayne Chrebet retired yesterday. That's good news for the seven strands of brain matter he has left and good news for the Jets too. Now the team can end the charade and debunk the myth that Lil' Wayne was anything more than a nice white mascot for the city's racist, blue-collar fans. I hate Keyshawn but damn if he wasn't right - Chrebet was merely a flashlight who milked every ounce of "Great White Hope" attention he could get. Chrebet sucked the day Keyshawn left town.

2. I like the trade rumor of Tejada to Wrigleyville. Apparently the Cubs are offering Prior and the O's are demanding Zambrano instead. If you'd asked me two years ago, I would never have seen a Prior trade coming. Now, after two years of injuries, mediocrity, and bad PR, Prior's on the block. Who would've thunk it?

3. The Troy Glaus-to-Boston trade rumor is heating up. Boston would take Glaus and convert him to 1B while Arizona would take some prospects in return. Glaus is a good hitter and would probably enjoy playing at Fenway so if Boston can pull this off, it's a feather in their cap. I'm sure the prospects the D-Backs get won't be of particularly good quality since Boston will likely pick up the tab on the rest of Glaus' contract. My question to Arizona is why they bothered to sign Glaus last year if they knew they wouldn't compete in 2005 or 2006. What was the point of the signing? What sort of long-term organizational thinking is going on out there?

4. Reggie Sanders and Mark Grudzielanek signed with the Kansas City Royals. Sure, those contracts didn't exactly break the bank but since when have the Royals ever signed anybody? And what are the Cardinals waiting for, exactly? The NL Central is just thin enough that the Cards can still win the division with Carpenter, Mulder, and Pujols but I don't get the sense that the Cards are really trying right now...

5. I know it's not sports but permit me a Peter King moment here. NYC's transit strike is over. Transit Workers Union chief negotiatior Roger Toussaint is now as hated as MLBPA boss Donald Fehr. Amazing. In the span of four days he went from anonymous to utterly detested. No one's Q-rating has plummeted faster.

Barring any major sports developments that require me to adjourn my long weekend and log onto the blog, I'm going into a state of Deep Cover beginning at noon today.

No comments: