Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A plea to ESPN

Dear ESPN,
I've had a lot of complains with you lately some nit picky , some fair. Ok so you have to pay to access such brillaint minds as John Claton to tell me that the Bears aren't very good. That just annoys me. Listening to preen over all things Boston day after day that gets annoying. Why in the world are all your reporters constantly suck up to the Bloody Sox day after day is beyond me? Heck even SI has diversity on of its East Coast only coverage via Jay Mohr (albeit a man that needs to get to a trainer to teach him how to use velcro). But this time you go to far by a front page jerk-off promotion for Lynn Swann's aspiring political career. Yes he's had nice catches and yes he has the ability to carry on a two minute conversation with Al Michaels but when I go to ESPN.com I want to read about sports not politics. If your going to do politics at least a hire a real reporter that maybe knows something about...I don't know...politics.

Typically good reporting involving more than verbatim copying down Swannie talking points or noting that Swann has 4 Super Bowl Rings (I'm uncertain what Super Bowl rings have to do with governing. Lawrence Taylor has more SuperBowl rings than Abraham Lincoln. Should I prefer LT to AL to be President?) . However within the article there were numerous ridiculous statements and falsehoods mostly around Republican succesful outreaches to the African-American community. Succesful outreaches probably wouldn't result in ONLY 11% of African-Americans voting for Bush. Succesful outreaches probably should also mean that there is some nationally elected African-American (and there hasn't been since JC Watts retirement in 2002 after the leadership told him he would not be allowed to rise any higher in the Republican hierarchy). I don't really want to get into an argument over Republican policies towards minorities and thats precisely the point. ESPN, I'm asking heck I'm pleading - don't cover political stories and certainly don't bail ANY potential candidate's water, let alone one that works for your parent company.

sincerely,
Mighty Mike

No comments: