Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Week 4 – Motivation Styles are Important

The NFL is so unpredictable, that I somehow finished above .500 for the first time last week! It’s still going to take some time for the contenders and pretenders to be fully present. It’s been a busy week for me, so let’s cut right to it.

Manwich Machup of the Week:
Philly @ KC- Here’s why I’m picking KC: After they got slaughtered by the Broncos, I picture Dick Vermeil crying to the team, how he thought this was the season to return to the Super Bowl. He then pouts to his players, “why do you guys have to make me so emotional?!?” Vermeil’s style of motivation [crying] works for him and his players. Interestingly, KC plays a team with the complete opposite theory of motivation. Coach Andy Reid eats his players’ food if they don’t practice the way he likes.
Pick: KC

Upset of the Week:
Seattle @ Washington – I refuse to jump on the Redskin bandwagon just because Dallas failed to cover Santana Moss on consecutive possessions. I realize that when a team is a 2.5 point underdog, it isn’t much of an upset, but I’m really not sure what else to pick.
Pick: Seattle

Buffalo @ New Orleans – I finally figured out who Saints coach Jim Haslett reminds me of. It’s long-time Detroit Lions coach Wayne Fontes! Both coaches continually find ways to win 7 to 9 games, they avoid being fired, and they also are good at avoiding any playoff wins.
Pick: Buffalo

Denver @ Jacksonville – A Monday night hangover for the Broncos and the Jacksonville D combine to bring the 2-1 Broncos back to reality. Reality meaning they will not make the playoffs.
Pick: Jacksonville

Detroit @ Tampa Bay- Now that Cadillac Williams is playing Detroit, do you think the executives at GM will realize the marketing potential of this rookie phenom? Or will they just bask in the glory of the free publicity? Or are they scared that Cadillac won’t survive the season if Coach Jon “Chucky” Gruden continually runs him 37 (yes, thirty-seven) times per game, as he did last week?
Pick: Tampa Bay

Houston @ Cincy- I feel bad for Houston. Their schedule is just brutal, and really does not allow them to get into a groove. They started out week 1 against Buffalo’s defense, then they had to play Pittsburgh, and now they have to go the Jungle, home of the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals can smell fear.
Pick: Cincy

Indy @ Tennesee- What’s that in the sky? It’s a bird! It’s a plane! NO! It’s Peyton Manning! He’s here to save all the fantasy owners who are 0-3!
Pick: Indy

San Diego @ New England- Ok, Ok, I’ll go with the Patriots. I sure am tempted to believe that Tomlinson and company should have a fighting chance.
Pick: New England

St. Louis @ NY Giants – I finally figured out why offensive genius Mike Martz is so unpredictable. After he lost in the Super Bowl to the Patriots, he became Two-Face, the criminal from Batman lore. He goes around flipping coins to determine what plays to call, which RB to give more carries to, which fast-food chain he should go to. The only hole in my theory is that his face didn’t become deranged from Vinateiri making the winning field goal, but he could be wearing makeup for all we know.
Pick: NY Giants

NY Jets @ Baltimore- Brooks Bollinger is starting, and that’s all I need to know.
Pick: Baltimore

Dallas @ Oakland- If Janikowski wasn’t kicking for this team, they would have certainly beat the Eagles last week. However, this week, the Raiders won’t need their kicker. I just don’t respect any member of the NFC East. I’m prejudiced, I know. Don’t worry, I’ve been speaking to a professional.
Pick: Oakland

Minnesota @ Atlanta- This is a rather interesting game. Let’s call it the Manwich Junior Matchup of the Week. Now that the Vikings did their annual benching/injuring of RB Michael Bennett, they may start to make some noise in the pathetic NFC Norris Division. The noise won’t start until next week though.
Pick: Atlanta

SF @ Arizona- So starting Kurt Warner in my fantasy league wasn’t my best decision of the past week.
Pick: Arizona

GB @ CAR- I think the Brett Favre Farewell Tour has officially begun.
Pick: CAR

Last week: 11-3 (even I have my occasional moments of greatness)
Season: 26-20
Manwich Matchup: 2-1 (so going against New England for 2 straight weeks wasn’t a good idea).
Upset Special: 1-2 (thank you Jacksonville for pulling one out for me).

No comments: