Thursday, November 09, 2006

Cheers and Jeers: Blue Light Special Edition

Ingredients:


I was watching the news the other night, I know it's hazardous for my health, and as the word of a blue roll tide washing away the dry rot I couldn't help but think about how winners and losers are treated. Typically in sports, politics, making cheese sandwiches I've ended up and frankly expect a loss. Today my head is a higher, step a little lighter and well my expectations are really different as you can see from a photo taken of me yesterday.

Smells like.....Victory


However in theory though the factors that produce victory have not shifted but certainly our perceptions have. Winners got the benefit of the doubt….rarely is the lead line team wins championship in spite of their coach. Genius is confirmed on winners and errors are attributed to the losers…typically. Jon Gruden I doubt is neither a better or worse coach than when he won a Super Bowl. However Gruden has about as much popularity these days as K-Fed. The Saint Louis Cardinals were showered with respect despite an off-season that at best could be described as timid. While there are exceptions that I'm sure can strike up a lively discussion but by in large as General Patton once said "Americans don't tolerate losers"..


Cheers: Zach Randolph. I remember him at Michigan State when he dominated the tournament and literally punished opponents (and their families). After signing a contract extension Randolph has only punished teammates and buffet lines. So far this season Randolph seems to be on track for most improved player. Congrats.

Cheers: To saying goodbye Senator Racist Allen. CNN reported that the man that used to have a noose in his office was "sequestered in his home, "shell shocked," and going through "a nightmare," during this period of limbo…" My heart would be broken by the news of his suffering, if it hadn't been broken early by the news of Britney's divorce…..

Jeers: To Pete King's recent article completing Charlie Frye on his play. The only thing the Browns QB has going for him is that he absorbs a great deal of punishment. So does the Incredible Hulk but I wouldn't want him as QB of the Browns. Well maybe I do, I mean the worst thing that happens is the Hulk smashes everything. At least the Browns would have a chance….
New Brown's QB?

Cheers: To the start of the NCAA college basketball season. The Coaches v. Cancer tournament is in full swing (go Coaches!) and the rankings are out. Florida, UNC, Kansas, Pitt, and LSU round out the top 5. Since its college basketball there will be plenty of surprises and I will shocked if some of the Final 4 teams are not listed above. That said it will be fun year. My picks are UNC winning the ACC, Wisconsin winning the Big 10, Kansas the Big 12, Arizona the Pac 10, Florida the SEC and Georgetown the Big East.

Jeers: To the NFL for cracking down on its clips on Youtube. Yeah that must be killer - getting all that free publicity.

Jeers: To JoePa not being on the sidelines. Here's wishing for a speedy recovery to the long standing Penn State icon.

Jeers: To Ed Bradley passing away. Bradley was one of the finest interviewers I've heard. He could handle sports figures like Tiger Woods, political figures like President Clinton and regular folks. While he won 18 Emmys, including a lifetime achievement award, his life was cut short. He will be missed.

And just so this piece doesn't end on a depressing note....

A little Scarlett

No comments: