Thursday, November 02, 2006

Cheers and Jeers: San Diego Silver Bullet Edition

Ingredients:

While I do love scotch and my dog Baxter I have to come clean….I'm no saint (at least compared to Dorothy Mantooth). I certainly have done my far shares of mean spirited things from mooning random people, scissor kicking TFF Charlie Weis in the head and taking a girl out for a nice seafood dinner and not calling her back (to be fair I've never committed sex crimes at a bar with a Halloween theme…ahem Publius). However I make up for my moral laxness with experience. I've been to the Great Wall of China, I've looked at the Eiffel Tower, and I've even seen a grown man satisfy a camel. As such I think I have the credentials to decide if something is staying classy or not. So here's my handy dandy guide….

Deliberating Injuring Players: Not classy.

Screw you Sean Salisbury it's never cool to go after a player in an attempt to hurt them. Reggie Bush suffered an ankle injury after an admittedly dirty hit. It's not ok in public, its not ok on the football field and its probably not ok on an IRS agent to try hurt someone. Unless the person in question deserves it like if he did a judo chop to the throat like Reggie Bush did. Or so I hear.

Bashing Tiki's Decision to Retire: Not Classy

I've seen Michael Irvin's wardrobe, he's on thin ice to begin with in staying classy. Going after Tiki Barber for a team distraction on the decision is the brick that breaks the camel's back. Never mind this is a guy that routinely defends TO as a non-factor in team chemistry but let's rewind oh 9 months or so. Anyway else remember the general rooting for Jerome Bettis, who publicly announced his retirement and his Detroit citizenship. Somehow Bettis announcing his retirement was incentive for the team to win the big one but Tiki's retirement choice is a distraction.

ESPN's Food Allowance: Classy. Really Classy.

ESPN , in a huge step forward for labor relations, is giving the whole MNF crew $5 bucks at the espn cafeteria. Nice guys. How about tiny salt packets for open wounds? Or you could have everyone live in little Hoovervilles in Bristol and just deduct it from their paycheck. You stay classy, Bristol.

Meet the new ESPN Boss

Rush Limbaugh commenting on Michael J Fox:This is a toughie. I'll let Stephen Colbert handle this moral quandary.


And now for a little cheering and jeering.....

Cheers: To the start of the NBA season. After Game 1 I'm re-thinking a lot of my claims. I'm already on the Utah winning its division bandwagon.

Jeers: To Maureen Dowd's self-fluffing interview of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert in Rolling Stones magazine. I find the best way to handle any interview is include in any article I write by saying why I'm better, followed by self-indulgent commentary on why the person(s) should bask in my glory and then finish up with self-indulgent commentary. "I thought Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert might be a little nervous to meet with me. I was the real news commentator, after all, and they were the mock." Maureen Dowd needs a meeting with the octagon or something.

Cheers: Louisville v. West Virginia. I really don't want to see a Big East team in the BCS Championship Game so this game eliminates one of the contenders. That said Louisville looks fairly impressive offensively. Wow.

Jeers: To Maryland for handing down a ruling on what constitutes rape that seems to be based on Man Law's "you poke it you own it" (i.e. once penetration occurs consent can not be revoked). I'm not lawyer but I did see Matlock at a bar and while the sound was turned off I feel qualified in saying that this ruling is fairly depressing.



Judge Eddie Griffin Presiding


No comments: