Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Week 11 – Come with me if you want to make the playoffs

Last week the elections took place… a small footnote on the day the Democrats dominated was that Governor Arnold Schwartzenger got re-elected in California. What does this mean for the vast majority of us? It means we have to wait at least 4 more years for production to begin on Terminator 4. In honor of the re-elected Governor, I’m going to try to focus on the one player that can save each team’s playoff chances…

Manwich Matchup of the Week
San Diego at Denver- This game will go a long way to determining who will win the AFC West. I think that Mighty pointed out how Marty the Party Schottenheimer has problems with Denver.
Pick: Denver

Upset of the Week –
NYG @ Jacksonville- After the Jags lost to Houston the first time this season, they were so enraged that they came out and beat down the red-hot Eagles. This time, they get the injured Giants. Pick: Jacksonville

Indianapolis at Dallas – If TO catches all of the balls thrown his way, they have a great chance to spring an upset. Pick: Dallas Editor's Note: Dallas is somehow favored, so this can't be an upset.

Atlanta at Baltimore – Michael Vick must stop Baltimore. I’m so utterly sick of Baltimore continually escaping every week. I was so excited last week when Tennessee put up over 20 points in the 1st half… only to have Baltimore storm back, and then even block the Titans’ attempted game-winning kick. Now that the Falcons blew two gimme games (Lions, Browns), this is a must-win game for them. Pick: Baltimore

Buffalo at Houston – Both of these teams are feisty, but I truly can’t believe that Houston swept Jacksonville already! I don’t think Houston can beat anyone else. Pick: Buffalo

Chicago at N.Y. Jets- Chad Pennington is quietly staying healthy, and being productive for the first time since his rookie year. If the Jets win this game 2 things would happen: 1) the Jets would probably make the playoffs, due to their easy schedule; 2) ESPN would run multiple pieces on Sportscenter about how the NFC is inferior. Pick: Chicago

Cincinnati at New Orleans – I never expected as many losses to pile up for the Bengals… I still think they can rally for the playoffs, but they have to finish 6-1. The Saints faced one desperate AFC North team last week, and for some reason, I feel as if they have more luck on their side. Plus, Marvin Lewis is a poor defensive coach. Pick: New Orleans

Minnesota at Miami – I think they should require Culpepper to play this game against his old team. Pick: Miami

New England at Green Bay- Has it really been 10 years since Desmond Howard was the MVP in the Super Bowl, and the Pats got stomped?
Pick: New England

Oakland at Kansas City – I guess KC is starting Trent Green, which I believe is a terrible idea. I would always stick w/ the hot hand. Granted, I’ve never been an NFL coach but if I was, I would show no allegiance to any players, only the team. Pick: KC

Pittsburgh at Cleveland – I think that every weekend that Michigan plays OSU, Pittsburgh should play Cleveland. It’s only fitting. Clearly, the Steelers playoff chances hinge on Roethlisberger not turning it over. But if Roethlisberger yelled out to his team, “Come with me if you want to live!”, I’m not sure how many would follow right now. Pick: Pittsburgh

St. Louis at Carolina- Vroom… vroom… Pick: CAR

Tennessee at Philadelphia- The Titans aren’t making the playoffs, but they definitely showed some resolve this year. Pick: Philly

Washington at Tampa Bay- I’m very curious to see how QB Jason Campbell and RB Ladell Betts perform this week. This could turn out very good, or more likely, horribly bad. I’m just curious to see QB Campbell because he supposedly had the lowest Wonderlic score in 5 years (not counting the fictitious wonderlic score of 3 by Vince Young). Pick: Tampa Bay

Detroit at Arizona- Now that the Vikings have stopped caring, the door is open for even the Lions and super wideout Roy Williams to make the playoffs. Of course, this door is at the end of a long hallway, where the floor is crawling with snakes, bear traps, and live wires. Pick: Detroit

Seattle at San Francisco – Does the Super Bowl curse continue if Pittsburgh (the champ) doesn’t make it? Pick: Seattle


Last Week: 8-8
Season: 85-59
Manwich: 7-4 (Bears beat up on injury-prone Giants)
Upset of the Week: 2-8 (The Rams fell just short again of beating the Seahawks)
Lock of the week: 0-1 (I called the Pats over the Jets a “lock.” I’m never using “lock of the week” again.)

No comments: