Thursday, October 06, 2005

Announcing: Do you need to be literate?

I was listening to ESPN radio on my way home from work today and a question popped into my mind that I thought I would ask on our blog. Luis Gonzalez (of Diamondback fame) was announcing the Cards-Padres game. Who do you think are the best players that turn to announcing for all of the major professional sports and who do you think are the worst...shouldn't be announcing. For me it is the following:

MLB: Best-Tony Gwynn (a soft spoken man that definately knows his stuff), Al Leiter (a literate man who gives a pitchers perspective) Worst-I can't really think of anyone that bad but Skip Carey annoys the hell of out of me, and Don Sutton needs to go bald and Ozzie Guillen just doesn't need to be interviewed.

NFL: Best-Probably Steve Young (because he is a nice family man that descends from Brigham Young), Moose (because his name is Moose and he actually knows quite a bit about sports) Worst-Shannon Sharpe (he needs to read once in a while), Phil Simms (he needs to get out of bed with Tom Brady)

NBA: Best- Charles Barkley (because he just says stupid shit); Worst - Charles Barkley (because he says stupid shit)

NHL: Best- Barry Melrose (the fact that he still has a mullet); Worst - is there any other hockey announcer other than Barry Melrose

No comments: