Monday, October 31, 2005

MMBSD Afternoon Edition: Hail to the Little People

Well the Monday Morning Back Seat Drive is a little late today due to circumstances beyond my control. Lets just say they involved a late night football game, a supreme court nominee and Fareed Zakaria and leave it at that.

Today's theme is the little people of sports who had a big weekend. Now I don't come from a family who's genes lead one to being the size of a volkswagon. Nobody is dunking a basketball over here. In fights I have often to jump up to hit the person in the face (little known fact the character of Mac from Mike Tyson's punchout is loosely based on my fight against King Hippo). So when the little guy does well I take notice. Luckily this weekend there were some big little people that I could root for.

Tiki Barber
Big players, play big in big games. Or something like that. Well the little running back that could, ran the team by the Potomac out of town. The Giants demolished the Redskins 36-0 in probably one of the more suprising games (at least in score differential) of the weekend. Tiki ran wild. 206 yards? Yep. Tiki was a workhorse.

Steve Smith
I don't think Smith gets mentioned as often as he should as one of the premier wide recievers in the league. Despite the fact that he doesn't have TO's size, Smith fights through cornerbacks and zips by them like they are standing still. Over 200 yards receiving for Smith keyed Carolina past the Vikings. Smith is averaging over 117 yards a game. Sure he's little but nobody can stop him. Much like Speedy Gonzalez.

Ted Ginn Jr.
Ted Ginn is fast. Like Olympic speed fast. Trying to defend against him on punt and kick returns is an excercise in futility (kind of like Scooter Libby's defense). I saw him slice through the Golden Gophers on a 100 yard kick return in a blink of an eye. I think a parachute came out of pants to slow him down at the end. The Michigan game is in sight. Oh yes the Michigan game is in sight.

Me
I should recieve some sort of gold medal for watching Browns games. Or I should be thrown into the insane asylum. This team is awful. They're worse now then they were at the start of the year and they were bad then. Trent Dilfer has come down with a case of the stupids ("I know if I hold on to the ball longer than nothing bad will happen"). The offensive coordinator, Maurice Carthan, is obviously in over his head and as such couldn't lead an offense through the McDonald's drive-thru let alone into the end zone. My campaign to fire Butch Davis was succesful. My campaign to get rid of Mike Martz is all but finalized. Carthan your up next. You need to go!

No comments: