Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Peter King

Normally I have no issue with Peter King. I think his columns are a fairly enjoyable read and he doesn't blab on and on about how great a person is or make predictions based in his own rooting interest (like Peter Gammons).

Anyway, I saw this and it sort of annoyed me. I'm not stark-raving mad because I didn't find it that big a deal but just irked enough that I decided to share. From yesterday's MMQB:

"I think it's a disgrace Lawrence Taylor is pimping that ultra-violent football video game. A disgrace, but not surprising."

then...

"I think I owe the kind people at my alma, Ohio University, thanks for a fine night during an alumni function Friday night in hopping Athens…there still is, apparently, a penchant for drinking, which I discovered Friday night and during the Saturday morning Homecoming Parade, which featured 7 a.m. bar openings…Kiley O'Laughlin, the niece of old friend Peg O'Laughlin from OU, told a few of us that after the big ESPN2 win over Pitt a few weeks ago, the fans stormed the field…and then headed en masse to the uptown bar scene…Everyone was chanting, 'Let's get wasted!'…I think you guys stole our class motto, Kiley. She also informed me that the big story of that night was the couch burning in the middle of a downtown street and the police officer getting thrown from his mounted horse, breaking a wrist, chasing the offending arsonist…I don't mean to sound like a wise old owl or anything, but I've seen and heard so much hand-wringing over problem drinking on campus. I know it's a problem. A major one, I'm sure. And I'm sure much of what I'm about to say is rooted in ignorance about the scope of the problem. But college kids being drunk at 10 on a Saturday morning doesn't worry me much. We all did it. Most of us, anyway. The students I talked to Friday and Saturday are good kids, really good kids, who want to be good at what they do. They'll be fine. Overall, a fun, nostalgic, cool 24 hours."

I have no problem with undergrads partying. I did it, all my friends did it, even the poindexters in TKE and Sigma Nu at my university did it. What I have a problem with is the juxtaposition of morality by Peter King. It's ok for undergrads to party and burn stuff and cause cops to break wrists but it's not ok for a former pro football player to be the spokesman for a violent video game. Hmmm...white kids causing mayhem in Ohio is ok. Black guy trying to make a living associating himself with the only thing on earth that he was ever good at, not ok. Peter King needs to leave Upper Montclair, New Jersey once in a while and wake the fuck up.

No comments: