Monday, November 07, 2005

Guest Spot: The most interesting rivalry this year

Here at the Back Seat Drivers, we're trying to think of new ways to stimulate thinking, provide interesting bits and find new issues for MJ to swear at. As part of a new series, we will be having guest bloggers submit their own thoughts and feelings about various sports events. If anyone knows anyone that would like to post, let me know. Today's guest blogger is a huge Nets fans, an expert in marshal arts, and currently promotes monkey knife fights. Enjoy....

The most interesting rivalry this year.


I'm tired of reading about all the stupid rivalries in basketball every year when it seems most journalists are totally missing the best ones. At the Bucks game it was evident that the most interesting rivalry this year for the Nets wouldn't be the Knicks, the Pacers, or the Heat, it was the Alcohol free Aeropostale Aero Zone versus the Budweiser Party Zone.

Granted, I didn't think much of it, and I don't think the people in the section did either, when they announced the new Aeropostale Aero Zone in the upper tier. In fact, while the announcer was talking about their alcohol-free section and Sly was prancing around up there, there wasn't much dancing and I think some people realized they'd been duped into sitting there. It was greeted by me and I'm sure others as "Oh, I guess some people not only feel the need to not drink at a sporting event, but they need to ally themselves with others who also hate the sweet nectar that is alcohol."

But then the Budweiser Party Zone was announced. Oh the joy! Oh the pageantry! All the Nets dancers mingling with the crowd while dancing around shaking their "things." Now THAT is a section I want to be in! Even their signs were more fun. Who cares about crappy seats, when you're in the Budweiser Party Section?! It was such a great scene, I think I heard Tara Reid was considering getting seats there just to be closer with the other drunks at the stadium.

How long can these two sections continue to exist peacefully? At some point you know that the drunks in the Budweiser party zone will be sitting at a boring game and stop their debauchery long enough to realize "Hey, those people are all sober. Let's get 'em!" And then they're going to fight.

I give it until game 64.

d

No comments: