Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Hot Stove Part VI / Kenji Johjima

In part to get the Hitman off my back and in part because I love Japanese ballplayers coming to the U.S., I'd like to report on the Seattle Mariners' signing of Kenji Johjima to start at catcher in 2006.

Johjima has a pretty decent catcher's build at 5'11" and 198 lbs. His stats in Japan show that he's not a high on-base guy but does possess some some pop. Of course, pop in Japan isn't pop here, but still, he might be able to have a nice couple of years in the Majors. I'm not basing this opinion on anything other than my bias towards Asian ballplayers. I just love them for their attention to the fundamentals of the game. Not all of them can succeed here (see Matsui, Kazuo or Park, Chan Ho) but they still come over knowing more about the game than a lot of the kids coming out of high school and college baseball here in the States.

Why should we care about this signing? Well, if Hideki and Ichiro are any indication, Kenji might become a better-than-average defensive catcher in the AL. I don't think the M's will be contending in 2006 but they could improve if they have a good receiver behind the plate who can block balls, throw out runners and call a smart, sensible game. The only thing that might be tough for Johjima is the art of blocking the plate. In Japan, catchers don't have to block the plate; an out is recorded by stepping on the base as in all force play situations (I don't understand why myself). It will take some practice for Johjima to get used to the footwork of an effective block as well as getting over the fear of contact. That's what spring training is for, fortunately.

I'm sure there are people who will believe that a Japanese catcher won't be able to communicate with American or Latin pitchers but I'm sure it'll work out. Everyone speaks the international language of baseball where one finger means fastball and two fingers means curve. I'm rooting for Johjima and I hope he opens the door for even more Asians in the States.

No comments: