Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Quite Frankly, It Wasn't Bad

Flipping channels last night, I came across the talk show of one of our favorite targets for ridicule - the inimitable Stephen A. Smith. There he was, anchoring "Quite Frankly", with guests James Hasty, Michael Smith, and Dan Reeves, talking NFL football.

You know what? It was actually a pretty good show. Stephen A. did a pretty solid, if unspectacular, job of leading discussion and carrying on the various debates. He stated his opinions without the hyperbole we've seen when he's been a commentator on SportsCenter or NBA Fast Break, and in particular was adept at asking questions of his panelists to draw out some insight and analysis into the subjects at hand.

Quite frankly, Stephen A., you've bought yourself another half-hour of my attention next week. If what I saw last week is any indication of your show in general, then I'll be happy to support your program as an example of what good sports TV is about.

Quite frankly, though, I'm not crossing my fingers.

No comments: