Sunday, August 07, 2005

College Football Preview

Well the first preseason coaches poll is out and its time to get the old alumni gear out of storage, grit the teeth, get the beer of the fridge and without a second thought boo FSU. So given the that its less than a month till NCAA gets things going I thought a little bit of a college preview was in order (with a small and obvious homage to Bill Simmons).


Pac 10 : Gozer the Gozerian... good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

This year the only thing other PAC-10 teams have to stop USC from getting back to the national championship game (this year being held in USC's backyard at the Granddaddy of them all) is harsh language. Seriously. California was the only team to put up a fight against USC the past few years and sans Aaron Rogers they will have a neophyte in to try to stop the Trojans. The only thing that might trip up the mighty USC offense is that offensive guru Norman Chow left for the NFL. However short of a miracle, USC is going to the Rose Bowl. The longest of long shots could happen September 24 when USC goes to the Pond to face University of Oregon. If USC is to trip up chances are Oregon will be the team to do it.

ACC - "Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds".
"That's a big twinkee"
This is the first year of the new ACC with its 42 teams (ok 12). The big mucky mucks are the University of Miami Convicts and The Florida State Recently Released Convicts. Florida State has been slipping the past few years and as previously noted a number of their players due to injuries, stupidity and arrests will be unavailable. Miami's offense took a nose dive last year and they're starting a red shirt freshman (Kyle Wright) to try to jump start it. They do have most of their defense coming back though. The new power of the ACC is Virginia Tech. Led by the other Vick (of the Marcus variety) they have the talent to win the conference (again). I'm going on a hunch (Miami's tough games are on the road) as well as spite and picking V-Tech. The key games will Sept 5 (Miami at FSU) and Nov 5 (Miami at V-Tech).

Big 12 "Yes its true...this man has no dick"

This if Texas' one big chance to breakthrough and FINALLY win the big 12. Oklahoma is hoping phenom Adrian Peterson's running skills is enough to win in the Big 12 cause that is all they've got. Texas has heisman hopeful Vincent Young and a goal of not choking in the big one. Mack Brown (or as MJ puts it the Marty Schottheimer of college football) has yet to win anything of value in the Big 12 but this could be the year. A victory at the Horseshoe over OSU on Sept 10th and another one over Oklahoma Oct 8 in Austin could mean that Texas would be Rose Bowl bound. I've heard Texas A&M might be the darkhorse but I don't buy it.

SEC - "
Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left? "
"Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought. "

I don't have a clue on the SEC. I will note that as John Walters pointed out they have soft non-conference schedule. I'm saying it loud and proud the SEC is over-rated. That said their should be a lot of fun matchups. The little Napoleon himself with the fun and gun is back at South Carolina. Tennessee has healthy quarterbacks (last year they went through like 4 qbs). Florida new coach, Irvin Meyer, should get the most of underachieving Chris Leak. LSU lost Nick Saban and its fans can't possibly read, spell or tie shoe laces but that doesn't mean they won't be a force (Saban left the team well stocked). Auburn went undefeated last year before losing their entire offense to the draft. I'm going to with Tennessee to win this but I will say this...none of the teams will be undefeated in the SEC.

Big 10
"Where do these stairs go?
"They go up. "

This I think will be the year the Big 10 returns to its glory years. Or so I hope. Every true Big 10 fan wants their team going to the Rose Bowl to win the national championship. Its the dream of dreams. The big 3 (sigh I have to say big 3) are Michigan, OSU and Iowa. Iowa has had 3 straight 10 win seasons and is coming off a bowl victory over LSU. Last year they were down to their 6th string walk on running back. This year they have a gamer. Michigan is missing their uber wide receiever (Brayleon Edwards) and the under-rated Marlin Jackson (cornerback). All the other pieces are in place (Chad Henne and Mike Hart are back). OSU has the most exciting player on the face of the earth with Ted Ginn Jr.. They also have Jim Tressel's sweatervests (they've set the Paris runways on fire this year). The Michigan-OSU game at the end of the year (Nov 19th) and the Iowa - OSU game at the start of the year (Sept 24th) should determine the winner. If all three were to stumble look for Purdue (they don't play any of the big teams this year) to fill the void. I'm not making picks but I am stating that its 6:50 and Michigan still sucks.


4 comments:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Nice Ghostbuster quotes. I dug it. I think we need some press for the OSU-Texas game. I don't think I've ever been more excited about an early-season game. It sounds like you have USC-Texas, which is as good a pick as anything else.

Mighty Mike said...

I think Texas OSU game is the key. If OSU beats Texas I think it'll be Michigan v. USC. If OSU loses to Texas I think it will be Texas (merely because the Big 12 is such a joke this year)

MJ said...

As a non-aligned college football fan with leanings towards Virginia Tech (thanks to Beth's roots in Virginia), I consider myself just impartial enough to comment on this topic.

For starters, I agree that the SEC is up in the air. Personally, I'm rooting for the Gamecocks and the Ole Ball Coach Spurrier to have a good season. Not because I like him (I HATE HIM) but because I hate Urban Meyer even more. Not for any good reason, just because I think he's a dipshit and I don't like his pussy-wussy offense. Here's hoping that UF goes nowhere with Meyer. I think Tennessee will win the SEC by default but will get whupped in their BCS game against serious ACC or Big 10 competition.

I think Purdue might be darn good record-wise this year although that's what everyone said last year so I can't buy in because at the end of the day Purdue is not a credible football program in my eyes.

USC should win the Pac-10 although somehow I feel like Leinert will get a career-ending injury around mid-season and then we'll have months of "you shouldda gone to the NFL last year" articles going around.

OSU-Texas doesn't interest me at all because I refuse to be seduced by Texas.

OSU-UM interests me because those two teams could have blind grannies playing for them and it would still be a nasty hate-filled brawl.

National Championship prediction: Ohio State-Texas with OSU winning 35-21. It'll be revenge for losing next month, 20-7.

B. Hutchens said...

Hail to the Victors, Valient. Hail to the Conquering Heros, Hail Hail to Michigan, the leader and best.