Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I have never...

ever seen an inning quite like the one in which the Kansas City Royals allowed 8 hits, committed 3 errors and all told gave up 11 runs in the 9th inning. Never! The Royals , in a scene taken directly from the Bad News Bears, managed to drop a fly ball, boot a single to the outfield and lost out on an opportunity to go to Dairy Queen. To quote Major League:

General Manager: How would you like to manage the Indians this year?
Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know...
General Manager: What do you mean? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.
Lou Brown: Let me get back to you. I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Somehow I think that applies to the Royals these days. Have a cold drink on me Buddy Bell, you deserve it tonight.

1 comment:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

The most ridiculous play was with 2 outs, 9th innning, and the tying run (Belliard) on 1st. The left fielder looked real happy, when he thought he caught the ball, only to realize the ball was sitting on the ground. Belliard scored from 1st to tie the game on the routine pop-up!
Unbelievable!