Tuesday, August 30, 2005

NFL Preview – Go CAR Go

While at Mighty’s residence this past weekend, there was some debate about who the Carolina Panthers were. On the upper part of the TV, all it said was “CLE” and “CAR”. Mighty’s Mom accurately thought it was Carolina, but Mighty’s brother thought it was “CAR”.
Needless to say, if you haven’t realized it by now, my prediction for the 2005 Super Bowl Champion is the CAR Panthers. Go CAR go!

The CARs will win it all for a few reasons: they have an incredible defense, a great coach (Fox), 3 running backs, and, most importantly, they finished the 2004 NFL Season on a 6-2 2nd half. I like to go with teams that finish the previous season red hot, even if they don’t make the playoffs (for those who couldn’t remember, CAR lost 15 players and 7 games during the first half, and still almost rallied for a playoff berth).

On to the predictions…

AFC East
1. New England – I have to acknowledge their superiority, which should be good enough to provide a division title (see below for playoff picks).
2. Buffalo Bills – If it wasn't for the rookie QB, I'd put them in the playoffs. Other than Redhawk Alum Roethisberger, “Rookie QBs don’t win.” That’s the sign I have posted above the door in my bedroom.
3. New York Jets – If there was ever a man destined to get injured its Curtis Martin. He was in his 10th season last year, and had a career-high 371 carries, and a career high 1697 yards. The fact is (1) - Once RBs get past the 10th season, they tend to get injured. (2) - Whenever you approach the magical 400 carry season, the next season you are cursed and usually get injured (see Jamal Anderson, Barry “Bananas” Foster, Edgerrin James, ).
4. Miami Dolphins – I’m just rooting for a blockbuster mid-season trade of Ricky Williams. That would be fun, because it never happens in the NFL. I think Ricky will be motivated to play well, considering the money implications, and the sad future he would face without his best friend, Mary Jane.

AFC Central
1. Baltimore
– their defense is amazing, as we all know. The difference this year? Jamal Lewis just spent the summer in a federal prison, in order to get into the best physical shape of his life!
2. Cincinnati – The Bengals are officially my surprise team of the year. These guys have been 8-8 each of the last 2 years. I think Carson Palmer will turn the corner, and as long as the defense can play a little better, the Bengals will return to the playoffs!
3. Pittsburgh – My personal preferences tend to get in the way of my picks sometimes (actually, this happens often). So, the reason Pittsburgh will miss the playoffs this season is simply because everything went their way last season. Every break. I’m also forecasting a sophomore slump for Roethlisberger, Duce Staley is out 4 weeks, Bettis is out a few weeks, and they lost Plaxico Burress, who I think freed up Hines Ward more than people realize. In addition, the Steelers could easily lose to New England, San Diego, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, and Baltimore, and suddenly be 2-5 or 3-4. At that point, I’m expecting this team to just freak out and fall apart.
4. Cleveland – I love my Brownies but I have to be realistic. 4-12. At least we have a GM, and now have a schedule to maintain – we are aiming win the Super bowl in 4 years.

AFC South
1. Indy – these guys are so much fun to watch. They may even play a little defense this year I hear.
2. Houston – I don’t know why I keep picking these guys. 8-8?
3. Jacksonville – This team really confuses me. Their defense is stellar, but the offense is sluggish. They too should be at 8-8.
4. Tennessee – Welcome to salary cap hell. Don’t worry, in a couple of years, they’ll be back.

AFC West
1. Kansas City Chiefs – If their defense gives up 25 points per game, they can win their division!
2. San Diego Super Chargers – Marty Schottenheimer is the greatest regular season coach. I think he has another run left so he then can lose in the 1st round again.
3. Oakland Raiders – The Kerry Collins to Randy Moss connection is intriguing. The other fun thing will be watching opposing teams shred their pathetic defense.
4. Denver Broncos – I don’t even know where to begin on their offseason: 1) they spent a 3rd-round pick on Maurice Clarett, so they could then waive him, 2) they signed 48-year old Jerry Rice to be an “inspirational guy”. I’m not sure who he’s inspiring at this point, 3) they signed the whole Cleveland defensive line, even though Cleveland was last in run-defense for the last 3 years.

NFC East
1. Philadelphia Eagles
– Even if TO said, “I’m not playing until the playoffs”, I still think the Eagles would win their pathetic division.
2. New York Giants – I’m expecting an improvement from Eli Manning, and I’m expecting their defense to be better since Tom Coughlin is their coach, since he tends to run training camp like boot camp.
3. Dallas Cowboys – Julius Jones should get them some wins. The immobile Drew Bledsoe should get them a lot of losses.
4. Washington Redskins – I can’t believe I have a Joe Gibbs team in the cellar, but I honestly have no idea what these guys are doing. At least they have Clinton Portis, and this year they borrowed Santana Moss from the New York Jets. Next year, they plan on renting Justin McCareins, from what my sources tell me.

Norris Division
1. Minnesota Vikings – They upgraded the defense, they drafted a speedy WR to help replace Moss, they drafted a RB to replace Mr. Whizzinator (Onterrio Smith). These guys will be one of the best in the NFC.
2. Detroit Lions – I believe in Steve Mariucci. If I didn’t have Detroit’s defense in my fantasy last season, I wouldn’t have believed how often they make sacks, ints, TDs, and fumble recoveries. If they can just limit the points given up, and Harrington can make some magic happen with a star-studded offense, then things should go well. I know I’m asking for a lot, but me and Mariucci go way back.
3. Green Bay Packers – Their defense is terrible, and Brett Favre will be throwing 1 or 2 INT every game.
4. Chicago Bears – I like Coach Lovie Smith, but its just a shame that Rex Grossman can’t stop getting injured.

NFC South
1. CAR
– Whoever wins this division has the inside track to the Super Bowl
2. Atlanta Falcons – Vick and company have a great team, but I think the Carolina Panthers are just a little bit better.
3. Tampa Bay – their defense only gave up 304 points last year! I think they will score a few more points this year, with the running of rookie Cadillac Williams and have a real competitive year.
4. New Orleans – they could still finish at their annual 8-8, it will just happen to be in 4th place.

NFC West
1. Arizona Cardinals
– their defense is incredible. In addition, Coach Dennis Green has a habit of finding 1 extra special season in older QBs. Look at this list of QBs who had 1 good season at an older age while listening to the wise Dennis Green: Rich Gannon, Sean Salisbury Steak, Jim McMahon, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George.
Well, I’m saying it right now, Kurt Warner is going to re-discover his magical powers (for just 1 season)!
2. St. Louis Rams – their coach is insane.
3. Seattle Seahawks – their coach has a moustache.
4. San Francisco – I don’t even know who their coach is, because I think they finally fired Dennis Erickson.

AFC Playoffs
3- Kansas City OVER 6- Cincinnati Bengals – The Bengals magical ride comes to an end.
4- Baltimore OVER 5-San Diego – Schottenheimer loses in spectacular fashion as Baltimore safety Ed Reed strips Antonio Gates of the ball. Gates told the ref that Reed “reached in”, but the refs then drew him diagrams to explain that basketball rules aren’t applicable to football.
4-Baltimore OVER 1- New England – Since I know that the Colts can’t stop New England’s offense, I figure Baltimore, a very similar defensive team, may be able to find a way.
2- Indy OVER 3-Kansas City – Indy wins 51-48.
2-Indy OVER 4-Baltimore – Indy is just unbeatable in the dome.

NFC Playoffs
3-Philadelphia OVER 6- Detroit – Philly can handle the Lions.
5-Atlanta OVER 4-Arizona – I don’t think the Cardinal defense can cover the sensational running game of the Falcons.
2-Minnesota OVER 3-Philadelphia – Minnesota’s defensive additions allow them to hold Philly to a low enough score.
1- CAR OVER 5-Atlanta – this is probably the best game of the whole playoffs. After splitting the season-series, Carolina wins the rubber match.
1-CAR OVER 2-Minnesota –John Fox’s IQ is double that of Mike Tice.

Super Bowl
CAR OVER Indy – CAR can play a shootout if it has to. Plus, they have one of the few defensive lines that can create pressure with just a 4-man front.

No comments: