Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Feelin’ Optimistic (for a change)

Despite the fact that I’ve been working 16-hour days at the office (eight hours at work + eight hours at work hammering away on my thesis), despite the fact that waking up in the morning is getting harder and harder to do, and despite the fact that I have to move all my crap out of my apartment this weekend, I’m feeling optimistic this morning. It could have something to do with the fact that the weather is far more pleasant here in NYC than it was even a week ago. It could also have something to do with the fact that football season is around the corner. But really it’s because the Yanks aren’t dead yet.

I’ll be the first to admit that my natural tendency is towards pessimism and morose proclamations. I’ll also be the first to admit that the optimism I feel today will probably fade by day’s end, or at least as quickly as it takes Al Leiter to get to 60 pitches (usually somewhere in the third inning). But for right now, I feel good and I’m going with it.

You see, I crunched some numbers this morning and I liked what I saw. After their 7-0 shutout of the Blue Jays last night, the Yanks pushed themselves into a tie for first in the Wild Card race with a 68-55 record. On July 1st the Yanks were 39-39, meaning that they’ve gone 29-16 since that date (.644). It may not seem it, what with my pessimism and the rest of the US sporting media tossing dirt on their chances, but the Yanks have actually won at a very respectable rate since the first day of July. Even more interesting is that since May 6th, when they were 11-19, they’ve gone 57-36 (.612). Had the Yanks played .500-ball coming out of the gate, had they won four more measly games to even their record at 15-15, they’d be in first place in the AL East today. Over the last six weeks, I can count six games they should’ve won. What this tells me is that they’re hanging around, hanging around (“Rounders” reference) and may yet make the playoffs. They may even find a way to claw back into first place in their division. I’m not actually predicting the latter but it’s definitely possible. I mean, any team that’s playing .612 ball since May 7th deserves a little more respect than I’ve given them (or anyone else, for that matter).

Hopefully I haven’t jinxed them. But even if I have, it’s nice to know that once in a blue moon I can wake up and feel more bubbly than usual.

4 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

Actually for the first time I woke up and said this might actually be an interesting Wild Card Chase. Oakland has been spurting a little bit (question is it a rut or have they hit the proverbial rookie wall) but have obviously been the best team the season. Yanks starting pitching is coming around. While the Indians have put the "I" in inconsistency but keep chugging along (if the Indians had won half of those one run games they ended up losing to the Chi-Sox they would be in first place in the Central) and even the Twins are picking up a little steam.

Oakland plays the Yanks and Indians for one more series and I believe Tampa plays 6 more games against both the Pinstipes and Tribe. Those 3 series could determine the outcome of the race

MJ said...

Could it be that as I become more liberal and more optimistic, you become more like the Republican I used to be?

B. Hutchens said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
B. Hutchens said...

I still like Chief Wahoo and the Fighting Injuns. I think it is going to come down to the wire and think that perhaps the Yankees west coast trip will hurt them. Oakland plays Anaheim 8 games, the Yanks 3 games, the Red Sox 4 games and Indians 3 games with an East Coast stretch now and in September. I also want to say I wouldn't count out the Twinkies. Sure they have no offense, but you don't need offense with Carlos Santana and that bullpen going up against Detroit and KC for 14 of their final games. Should be an interesting month of september.

And on a more uplifting note for MJs optimistic article. I am glad to see that Doc Gooden has returned to his regular form. I wonder if Daryl Strawberry will become his sponsor in the AA/NA/Cocaine is bad for you programs in Tampa.