Friday, August 05, 2005

I ate a red candle

For those that haven't gotten around to reading Bill Simmon's latest articles on the NBA off-season I highly recommend them. 1) Becuase it provides some insight into the fact that a number of NBA GMs apparently are retaking the third grade and can't be bothered with the usage of logic and 2) Because he uses quotes from Anchorman. Quite hilarious.

I don't think most people really realized outside of Cleveland realized how awful Jim Paxson was as the Cavs GM. In a small sampling of his resume includes: traded 2 number one picks for Jiri Welsch, signing Kevin Ollie to a 5 year contract (for 15 million), drafting Desagna Diop (a raw high schooler. how in the world do you draft someone who had only played a year or two of HIGH SCHOOL basketball), concluding that it was a slam dunk that Iraq had WMD, drafting Trajan Langdon who's NBA shelf life was slightly less than that turkey in your refridge, and was quoted as saying ""I ate a whole bunch of fiberglass insulation. It wasn't cotton candy like that guy said -- my tummy itches."

Who's your vote for the worse GM of all time?

3 comments:

MJ said...

Worst NBA GM in my opinion is a tie between Scott Layden, formerly of the Knicks and Don Nelson in Golden State/Dallas. Obviously the lifetime achievement award goes to Elgin Baylor for what little good he's done in 20 years with the Clippers.

Worst GM in any sport is a tough call. I need a lot of time to think about this one but off the top of my head, Al Harazin of the 1992-1993 Mets has to be considered. He's the genius that let Strawberry walk away for free, brought in Vince Coleman and Bobby Bonilla at outrageous cost to the team and saw the Mets go from former championship contenders to the dogshit team they are today. They STILL haven't recovered from the Al Harazin era.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Can I still nominate Isiah Thomas? No, seriously, we have to wait until he's fired. And, there's a glimmer of hope with them bringing in Q, Nate Robinson, and having Houston & Penny's contracts (a total of $30 million) coming off the books in 2007.

MJ is right that this is a tough question. My nominations for each sport:
MLB- whoever the Orioles' GM was from 2000-2005, when they had a high payroll and nothing to show for it. That's controversial, but I'm drawing a blank right now, and I don't want to pick on any of the poor teams (i.e. Kansas City) who trade for future talent.
NBA- Sixers GM got some good press from Bill Simmons this week. I think he's also responsible for McCullough, who I despise. This GM has handed out money to: old Webber, old Mutumbo, old Eric Snow, TRADED FOR KEVIN OLLIE, Brian Skinner, etc.
NFL- Vikings GM Mike Lynn (I had to look up his name). He completed the worst trade in sports history - acquiring Herschel Walker in exchange for draft picks that turned into Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Darrin Woodson, and also crippled the Vikings for 3 years.
NHL-the New York Rangers GM, who, since 2000 continues to spend, spend and never make the playoffs.

B. Hutchens said...

I have to say is Mike Brown circa the whole entire 1990s and early 2000s. The 1990s got them a combined record of 52-108. Akili Smith, David Klingler, Ki-Jana Carter (who he traded up to get, who suffered a season ending injury in the third week of training camp), Jeff Blake, Dave Shula, and "Big Daddy" Dan Wilkinson. I think there is a price on this man's head in Cincy. This GM caused the entire team to be dogshit for two decades straight going from the Ickey Shuffle to my local Syrian restaurant's toilet.