Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ruminations: Wednesday (cont'd)

Prolific day for me on the blog. Anyway, two more things that occurred to me while I was editing my thesis here at work...

1. The Eagles: In the immortal words of Nelson, “Ha ha!” to the Eagles for losing backup running back Correll Buckhalter for the year. Through three weeks of training camp, the body count is two skill players out for the year (Pinkston, Buckhalter), one skill player causing a horrible metastatic cancer on the clubhouse (T.O.) and one skill player so shell-shocked by the negative attention the team is getting that he’ll probably puke his way through the season (McNabb). As Mikey said way back in May or June (or February or March, who knows...), the Eagles had four years to win their title and now, having failed to shit, the time has come for them to get off the pot.

2. John Madden: I just saw that he’s been nominated to join the NFL Hall of Fame by the Seniors members (sort of like the Veterans Committee for MLB). To be honest, I just assumed he was in Canton already. I mean, has anyone, anyone in the world done more to propagate the game and recruit new NFL fans than John Madden? When I got into football back in 1985, I didn’t even know John Madden had ever won a Super Bowl before. I just thought he was a TV commentator. Now, there’s no question that some people don’t like his shtick (I happen to love it) but how could it have taken so long to put his name on the ballot. He IS the NFL. That video game of his is the only reason why geeky kids who don’t like other sports watch the NFL. For the love of God, I am really angry about this. Hopefully he gets the necessary votes to correct this colossal blunder on the NFL’s part.

2 comments:

B. Hutchens said...

I think that Madden should be a part of the HOF for just adding the video game. I get enjoyment out of life every year in August when it comes out. I can remember back to the days of Madden 95 on Man was Barry Sanders great on that game. It and NHL 94 were the greatest inventions for a pimply 17 year old Colonel.

Oh and he is a damn good announcer too.

Mighty Mike said...

Anyone who's name is known a regular old noun (e.g. I'm going to go play Madden) should be in consideration. While Madden has slipped as of lately, overall his body of work should be in the hall of fame (let alone the fact that he was one of the premier coaches of his day topped only by Chuck Noll)